View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #20
nismo_pilot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nismo_pilot
Re: Sentra spec v( turbo or 3.5)?

lol i think you missed my point, i KNOW that you can turbocharge a qr25 and make lots of power, if you do it right (read: spend lots of money) you can even make it reliable, but as far as bang for your buck, you cant hit 12.9 with a turbo and have it be reliable, sure you may be fine for a few thousand miles, but soon youre going to start having problems, now if you take a completely stock maxima motor, add a custom intake and downpipe, throw some sticky tires up front, you can hit a 12.9 if you are a good driver, now a basicly stock motor will have NO PROBLEMS, unlike the qr25 that will sometimes blow up even when left stock, im not arguing that boost isnt an option on the qr25 motor, as it has been done PLENTY, but most of the smart people who boost their qr's also get the block sleeved, go with low comp pistons, and new rods, thats a given. When you want to make sure your car is safe at the boost you want to run, you have to spend more money, which as i stated costs you around 7500 to do the job right, we arent talking about slapping the kit on there and calling it a day. Now you can get similar numbers from a v6 and not have to worry about anything, the motor will handle it just fine. I agree it doesnt make much sense to rip out a motor from a brand new car to swap it, but you also have to think, it doesnt make much sense to turbocharge a motor with weak rods without replacing them, or without lowering compression so that you dont make anything go boom. either way youre going to ruin a brand new car, but if you are interested in speed you want to do things right. Hell if you want to go all out in the sentra, forced induction racing offers a hybrid motor, it is a fully built qr25, with an sr20det crankshaft and custom rods and pistons, everything is forged and built to handle in excess of 500hp, on top of the full engine build there is a massive turbocharger that makes around 20psi of boost, this motor is easily capable of 400whp on pump gas, now theres a boost option for the qr25, but it'll cost ya, its in the neighborhood of 10-15 thousand dollars, but it will be the ABSOLUTE best turbo option for that motor, now you could build the vq35 the exact ame way and make lots mor epower, but if you want the stock engine the hybrid is the way to go
nismo_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote