Thread: S-600
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
wings700
AF Newbie

Re: S-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecot
Since this car is based on the S-Class, I would avoid it like the plague. I was in an Infiniti dealership the other day when they appraised an SC55 AMG. The guy that owned it had $135,000+ in it and had less than 4000 miles on the odometer and was just a few months old. The trade in value was $85,000! In my opinion that was far too generous. The car is grossly over priced and a technoligical disaster. Since I've had so many problems with my 2001 S-430 I have made it a point to ask other S-Class owners what they think of their cars. A suprisingly high percentage have had significant problems with them. I'm not bigoted against Mercedes. I've owned or leased 8 over the past 22 years. I've had 10 times more problems than I did on ALL of my other Meredes combined. That includes 1-SD300, 1-SD350, 1-450SL, 1-300SL, 1-E420 Sport, 2-SLK 230's and an S430.
When you try to trade in a car that is only a year or two old you can expect to take a beating on the value. It makes no differance what it is. A new $285K Lamborghini loses about $50K the first year if you try to trade/sell it. The secret is to keep your car at least 3 years ( no matter it be a Toyota or Lambo) to minimize the depreciation/use factor. In the case of the Exotic cars you should plan on keeping them longer. The problem is that many owners buy on emotion/impulse and after they have lived with the car a few months or a year they try to unload them on someone else and pay for this dearly.
BTW, I have a 03 S55 AMG that has been just about perfect. One minor glitch where they had to reset the tire pressure monitor. Car is awesome with the 493 HP Supercharged AMG engine.
wings700 is offline   Reply With Quote