Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Deciding Which used Coupe is best ...... BMW, Genesis, Altima, Eclipse?

ag82
03-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Hi all, So I have finally decided that I will buy a used car, but I want to have a sporty coupe model. So I have now to decide which car to search for.
First is Hyundai Genesis coupe 2009 model, but I am getting it very expensive deals for that in Minneapolis area, around 25k.
next is BMW 328i 2008-2009 model, the pricing for this is same, around 25k.
Next comes Nissan Altima 20010 model which I am getting for the same budget if I go for the higher model that has same power as these two cars, But I can settle for lesser power of 2.5L engine the price range for this is 22-24k.
Last is eclipse 2009-2010 model, I have not seen the price listing for this, but think will be the lowest among these three.

So now Which one do you people suggest to keep searching for, Yeah the thing to be kept i mind is that I will be driving it in cold of Minnesota. Its very tough to find good used models for these cars. I could hardly find 5-6 cars for each listing.

Shpuker
03-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Well the Altima and Eclipse are FWD cars so the handling isn't as good, between the 328 and the Genesis as far as looks I'd say the hyundai but thats subjective :), as far as comfort and luxury the BMW is probably gona be the best out of those 3 but its also gona be the most expensive to maintain (after the 50k mile coverage is over)

akboss
03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I'd go Bimmer or Altima for a few reasons. First off, because the Mitsubishi is a fairly low-volume car, finding one will be difficult, and once you do, I'm not sure what the availability or cost of replacement parts is like, not to mention dealer service. Also, insurance tends to be higher on Mitsubishis, so look into that as well. The Genesis is a fine car, but if you want a RWD performance car, why not get the BMW?

If you want the best performer, look no further than the 328i, but don't be surprised if it costs more than you expect with high interest rates on used cars. Also, despite the fact the 328i has a myriad of electronic nannies and traction control systems, the benefit of RWD in summer handling will be an equal headache in the winter. Most people can get around, but it's a little easier and more controlled in a FWD car.

So, the Altima. Decent power, award-winning design, quality built inside and out, affordable financing rates with good warranty, and overall lower cost-to-own than all the others. It's a winner...

drunken monkey
03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
have you had a look at the journalists' favourite Nissan 350Z? With the 370 on the market, 350s are getting cheaper already.

The Mazda RX8 is also a brilliant if occasionally fragile car with the added bonus that there is nothing else out there like it.

Also, don't forget the DC5 Integra Type-R.
It may be front wheel drive but you will run out of driving ability/talent before you even get near to the car's limits.
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; U; Series60/3.2 NokiaN96-1/3.00; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1;) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

akboss
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
have you had a look at the journalists' favourite Nissan 350Z? With the 370 on the market, 350s are getting cheaper already.

The Mazda RX8 is also a brilliant if occasionally fragile car with the added bonus that there is nothing else out there like it.

Also, don't forget the DC5 Integra Type-R.
It may be front wheel drive but you will run out of driving ability/talent before you even get near to the car's limits.
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; U; Series60/3.2 NokiaN96-1/3.00; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1;) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

What is a DC5 Integra? Just curious...

As for the 350Z, good choice, but often abused - I see a lot of them, originally beautiful cars, ruined by fart-can mufflers and lowered until sparks follow the car over any speed bump. In another thread I have tried to get drivers to compare a 350Z to a Mustang GT, both are on my radar for (eventually) a used car purchase. RWD is a must when I start shopping :sunglasse

FishFind
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Don't do BMW. Take a look at how much the parts are even non OEM parts. If it is a used car it will end up costing you a lot in the future to fix.

ag82
03-31-2010, 03:50 AM
I love 350z but the problem is that it is only 2 sitter and I am looking for a car that allows to sit 4 when there is a need.
I was also thinking that BMW will be a high maintenance car, so not a very good idea to buy a used BMW.
But why is altima preferred over Genesis, all the reviews that I have seen online puts genesis as a very good car way above than altima. I understand that in the winters of Minnesota it will be tough to drive the Genesis, but is it so difficult that one goes for Altima.....
Is the built and quality of altima better than genesis coupe......?

akboss
03-31-2010, 08:21 AM
I love 350z but the problem is that it is only 2 sitter and I am looking for a car that allows to sit 4 when there is a need.
I was also thinking that BMW will be a high maintenance car, so not a very good idea to buy a used BMW.
But why is altima preferred over Genesis, all the reviews that I have seen online puts genesis as a very good car way above than altima. I understand that in the winters of Minnesota it will be tough to drive the Genesis, but is it so difficult that one goes for Altima.....
Is the built and quality of altima better than genesis coupe......?

Drive them. That's what you need to do. Without knowing who you are and how you drive your cars, one cannot predict whether or not you prefer quality plush seating or quicker exit speed out of a hairpin turn. I would say if outright performance you would want the Genesis (RWD), but if you don't intend to drive it hard (which is 95% of drivers) then the Altima will reward you with more luxuries, better drivability in winter months, and a more comfortable ride.

See, lots of people want outright performance for the look of it more than what they really need and want in daily driving. People put up with all kinds of uncomfortable cars because they want to look or feel like they have a 'performance car' or a 'sports car', and it's all marketing talk and social perception. If you're the kind of person that can ride above that, you'll end up a lot happier - there's your philosophical tidbit for the day. But think about it - all these guys putting fart-can mufflers on their cars (that add next to zero performance) are basically getting migraines every time they have to travel on the highway because of the non-stop racket coming from the back of their car. And these 22" chromes or lowered suspensions? It's crap. That's why the Porsche 911 has done so well as a car, it isn't all about Nurburgring lap times, it is about daily drivability.

While neither of the cars you are leaning towards have this kind of outright performance sacrifice, I can't help but want to steer you towards the more comfortable option, the Altima. I have conversed with a few coworkers who have bought sportier cars for their daily commute, and regretted it months after because of lower back pain and a choppy ride...now they went and bought CUV's. A sporty car will be what you want 5% of the time, a comfortable car will be what you need 95% of the time. Fortunately, there are options out there that offer both, it just depends on your personality.

akboss
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Interesting fact. Did you know 80% of BMW 1-Series buyers didn't know their car was RWD? It may be the optimal setup for maximum speed in racing and competitive events, but most drivers don't drive to work like they're in a race. And even if they do, chances are they aren't putting the back out with the throttle and understeering around most of the corners.

ag82
04-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Drive them. That's what you need to do. Without knowing who you are and how you drive your cars, one cannot predict whether or not you prefer quality plush seating or quicker exit speed out of a hairpin turn. I would say if outright performance you would want the Genesis (RWD), but if you don't intend to drive it hard (which is 95% of drivers) then the Altima will reward you with more luxuries, better drivability in winter months, and a more comfortable ride.

See, lots of people want outright performance for the look of it more than what they really need and want in daily driving. People put up with all kinds of uncomfortable cars because they want to look or feel like they have a 'performance car' or a 'sports car', and it's all marketing talk and social perception. If you're the kind of person that can ride above that, you'll end up a lot happier - there's your philosophical tidbit for the day. But think about it - all these guys putting fart-can mufflers on their cars (that add next to zero performance) are basically getting migraines every time they have to travel on the highway because of the non-stop racket coming from the back of their car. And these 22" chromes or lowered suspensions? It's crap. That's why the Porsche 911 has done so well as a car, it isn't all about Nurburgring lap times, it is about daily drivability.

While neither of the cars you are leaning towards have this kind of outright performance sacrifice, I can't help but want to steer you towards the more comfortable option, the Altima. I have conversed with a few coworkers who have bought sportier cars for their daily commute, and regretted it months after because of lower back pain and a choppy ride...now they went and bought CUV's. A sporty car will be what you want 5% of the time, a comfortable car will be what you need 95% of the time. Fortunately, there are options out there that offer both, it just depends on your personality.

Hmmm sounds quite interesting whatever you said..... Maybe I was swept with the hype about the performance cars.... More than their performance capabilities I really like their aggressive looks... I am quite obsessed with the cars which have very agressvie looks and wanted a proper sports car for that purpose but due to my budget constraints I have to fall back onto these cars specially the Coupes which have a bit sportier looks.....
Thats why was thinking of Genesis and Altima as my options.... I was initially thinking even of Mustang but the American cars are not prefereed cars for long use and also the low mileage that they give led me to put them away from my list....

akboss
04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Hmmm sounds quite interesting whatever you said..... Maybe I was swept with the hype about the performance cars.... More than their performance capabilities I really like their aggressive looks... I am quite obsessed with the cars which have very agressvie looks and wanted a proper sports car for that purpose but due to my budget constraints I have to fall back onto these cars specially the Coupes which have a bit sportier looks.....
Thats why was thinking of Genesis and Altima as my options.... I was initially thinking even of Mustang but the American cars are not prefereed cars for long use and also the low mileage that they give led me to put them away from my list....

Well, it looks like you have 2 cars to choose from (Genesis Coupe, Altima) and you need to book a back-to-back test drive of both. Don't try the top-level spec, ask for the exact trim that you want to buy, and compare one right after the other...you'll figure it out pretty quick once you have a chance to sit behind the wheel.

...a completely offside topic here, and a personal take on what makes a car fun, but I 'need' to have a convincing steering wheel on a sporty car. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe (no sporting pretensions whatsoever) and it has a plasticky, fake, 4-spoke wheel that has no feel to it at all. My old Mazda has a meaty, leather-wrapped 3-spoke wheel, and just gripping that surface as you drive gives a much better sensation of quality and control...all from a steering wheel. Now this is a personal note but you might find the same thing - have a good look at the steering wheel of the car you're driving - it may lend itself to a sporting character, or it may be like a Santa Fe...notice the details!

drunken monkey
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
My Bad.
The last generation Honda Integra has the internal code of DC5.
I forget that not all people are as anal about these things...

It also escapes me a to whether your markets got that car seeing as you know the Integra as the RSX.

As for the Altima; I find it hard to recommend the 2.5 engine.
The VQ35DE however, is one of the best on the mass market.
What about the Infiniti sister cars?

akboss
04-01-2010, 11:29 AM
My Bad.
The last generation Honda Integra has the internal code of DC5.
I forget that not all people are as anal about these things...

It also escapes me a to whether your markets got that car seeing as you know the Integra as the RSX.

As for the Altima; I find it hard to recommend the 2.5 engine.
The VQ35DE however, is one of the best on the mass market.
What about the Infiniti sister cars?

Yes, that's right, the Honda/Acura designations are odd here in North America. Does Europe get the Acura brand, or are the products just a branch under the Honda name? I think your Honda Accord is our Acura TSX (a great car, or was...) etc.

If it is our Acura RSX Type-S (about 200 hp, 1.8L I think) then I can't comment, but I know tuners like them. Well-built cars, functional and comfortable interior, reliable...but I wouldn't say 'stylish' - I like the square looks of the old Integra's.

Add your comment to this topic!