Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Aurora Explosion

WKlaassen
03-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I drove my Aurora 300 miles one morning and when I arrived home it was running fine. I shut it off and went in the house and after 10 mins, went to leave again. It just cranked and cranked and wouldn't fire. I assumed it was the fuel pump and upon pricing one out, decided to wait and just plated another car. The Aurora sat all winter and now with the weather a little nicer, decided to try and fire it up last week. It cranked for a few seconds and there was a small explosion under the silver cover plate on the motor. It sounded like a backfire. It did it 2 more times and I stopped trying. It seemed to be coming from the intake and the foam on the under side of that silver plate is singed on the side by the power steering resovoir. Is there something there that could be pooched? Could it still be a fuel pump being that there is something exploding there? Please help! And info would be appreciated. Could it be a fuel rail issue? I have read that there have been recalls. And where is this fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks

peeweewasblue
03-31-2010, 02:24 AM
Yes there is a fuel rail recall. With the silver cover off look at the fuel rail. If it is all steal all the way around then it is the replacment, if it is curved nylon line between the injectors then it is the original and yes they can leak and cause fires. The pressure reculator is located in the fuel rail near the intake side of the intake manifold.

Add your comment to this topic!