Radiator flush

toughguy5
03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
This will be my first radiator flush on my 2000 ford winstar, 3.8, it really needs it. i can use some help here, do i use the draincock on the radiator or put a tee in the heater line? and how much antifreez do i need with the rear heater too. Also do i use the longlife antifreez or the 50/50 mix? thanks all.

serge_saati
03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
A drain plug is more practicable.
You needs 3.5 gallon for a full flush.
Use 50/50 mix short life. The green one.

veerg
03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I also have a 2000 Windstar. Would like to know how to do the flush. It does not have a Radiator cap. How do you add fluid to it.? I have not looked for it but hope it has a drain plug. Please let us know from your experience or if any one else has any suggestions...thanks

toughguy5
03-26-2010, 04:35 PM
A drain plug is more practicable.
You needs 3.5 gallon for a full flush.
Use 50/50 mix short life. The green one.

a drain plug?

how do i do a full flush?

green one good.

thanks.

serge_saati
03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
a drain plug?

how do i do a full flush?

green one good.

thanks.

I mean drain cock like you suggest. Very similar.
If you use the drain cock and flush with distillate water, and wait until all antifreeze get out, it's considered a full flush.

Cause some people don't use the drain cock. So it's not full.

Maybe you'll not be able to remove all distillate water. So I suggest: after the flush, add 1.75 gallon of concentrated antifreeze then complete with distillate water. It's up to you.

northern piper
03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
on a 2000 3.8 the drain plug is on the bottom of the rad at the drivers side. It is plastic and very easy to break (ask how I know that :banghead:). It does have an allen key center to the plastic plug in the event that you break it fyi. Loosening the plug allows the rad fluid to flow out. Note that the plug, at least on mine, doesn't come out, but loosens to allow the fluid to drain. I removed the top and bottom rubber hoses and flushed the rad with regular water. I also removed the thermostat and replaced with an OEM one, along with a gasket. When flushing, once the rad fluid it drained I reassemble the whole system and run regular water thru until it come out clear. Then I drain again button the system up and add the new fluid. Take a bit longer but you know the fluid is all out. Once the new fluid it in, test it for concentration and burp the system.

toughguy5
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
on a 2000 3.8 the drain plug is on the bottom of the rad at the drivers side. It is plastic and very easy to break (ask how I know that :banghead:). It does have an allen key center to the plastic plug in the event that you break it fyi. Loosening the plug allows the rad fluid to flow out. Note that the plug, at least on mine, doesn't come out, but loosens to allow the fluid to drain. I removed the top and bottom rubber hoses and flushed the rad with regular water. I also removed the thermostat and replaced with an OEM one, along with a gasket. When flushing, once the rad fluid it drained I reassemble the whole system and run regular water thru until it come out clear. Then I drain again button the system up and add the new fluid. Take a bit longer but you know the fluid is all out. Once the new fluid it in, test it for concentration and burp the system.

thanks, but would in be ok to put a tee in the heater hose line and flush the whole system and have the drain plug open?

serge_saati
03-28-2010, 12:28 AM
thanks, but would in be ok to put a tee in the heater hose line and flush the whole system and have the drain plug open?

Yes, but it's not necessary to open the drain AND put a tee. Do just one.
It'll drain slower, but it's less complicate than your method.

Don't forget that fluid goes on heater lines even when thermostat is closed.

wiswind
03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
As far as the coolant you use, I am not sure of what year FORD switched from Green coolant to yellow.
The yellow is G-05, available from FORD as premium GOLD, or from Zerex as G-05.
If is does not state that it is G-05 on the label, it is NOT G-05.....regardless of what a parts clerk tries to tell you.
I bought Zerex G-05 at Carquest.......they did not carry it at Autozone, or any of the other auto part stores in my area.......Napa has it in some places....but not by me.
I converted my '96 Windstar to G-05.
I did not do a real flush.....I drained the radiator......changed out the radiator hoses...used distilled water to fill....start the motor and circulate it......drain.....repeating until it came out clear......and filled with the amount of concentrated G-05 needed to mix with water to fill the from empty capacity of my system.
In other words.....if the total system capacity is 8 quarts (2 gallons), then I would add 1 gallon of concentrated G-05, which will mix with the DISTILLED water in your system to give you the 50/50 mix.
You will NOT be able to drain ALL of the liquid out of the system.......which is why I used the concentrate and not the "premixed" version.
If you use a cleaning chemical.....more rinsing will be needed to flush all of that out of the system.

Our Windstars came with traditional green in the older years.....and the G-05 in the newer years......G-05 is a HOAT, a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant.
Most of the coolants that you will see, like the Prestone yellow jug (which states "all makes all models") is a OAT, Organic Acid Technology coolant.....which is NOT what FORD used in the windstar in any year.
The OAT has the long life properties, but lacks the "instant" protection provided by the Silicate additive.....which is in the Green, and in the G-05.
However, the silicate is at a lower level....and more stable than the Green of many years ago......

serge_saati
03-28-2010, 09:13 AM
The 2000 Windstar accepts both fluid types (green or yellow G-05). But the both should not be mixed. If you drain ALL the fluid, then you can choose the one you prefer. Like Winswind saids, don't use the "all makes all models" long life fluid.

veerg
03-28-2010, 04:42 PM

I want to do the Rad flush on my 2000 also. Please let me know what your experience was and what steps you took to do it.....thanks.

toughguy5
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
As far as the coolant you use, I am not sure of what year FORD switched from Green coolant to yellow.
The yellow is G-05, available from FORD as premium GOLD, or from Zerex as G-05.
If is does not state that it is G-05 on the label, it is NOT G-05.....regardless of what a parts clerk tries to tell you.
I bought Zerex G-05 at Carquest.......they did not carry it at Autozone, or any of the other auto part stores in my area.......Napa has it in some places....but not by me.
I converted my '96 Windstar to G-05.
I did not do a real flush.....I drained the radiator......changed out the radiator hoses...used distilled water to fill....start the motor and circulate it......drain.....repeating until it came out clear......and filled with the amount of concentrated G-05 needed to mix with water to fill the from empty capacity of my system.
In other words.....if the total system capacity is 8 quarts (2 gallons), then I would add 1 gallon of concentrated G-05, which will mix with the DISTILLED water in your system to give you the 50/50 mix.
You will NOT be able to drain ALL of the liquid out of the system.......which is why I used the concentrate and not the "premixed" version.
If you use a cleaning chemical.....more rinsing will be needed to flush all of that out of the system.

Our Windstars came with traditional green in the older years.....and the G-05 in the newer years......G-05 is a HOAT, a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant.
Most of the coolants that you will see, like the Prestone yellow jug (which states "all makes all models") is a OAT, Organic Acid Technology coolant.....which is NOT what FORD used in the windstar in any year.
The OAT has the long life properties, but lacks the "instant" protection provided by the Silicate additive.....which is in the Green, and in the G-05.
However, the silicate is at a lower level....and more stable than the Green of many years ago......

thanks for the heads up Wiswind, but do i fill the recovery tank when refilling the radiator with distilled water, then antifreeze.

serge_saati
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
do i fill the recovery tank when refilling the radiator with distilled water, then antifreeze.
Yes, of course. But it's concentrated antifreeze, then water.

wiswind
03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
you want the overflow tank to end up with a slightly stronger than 50/50 mix of coolant........just like the rest of the system.
The idea is to add the amount of concentrated coolant to the system that is required to give a slightly stronger than 50/50 mix of coolant to water.......THEN top off with water.
This is because you will not be able to drain all the water out of the system......so you are STARTING OUT with pure water in there.

Now, if you are doing a drain and refill.....with NO flushing.......you could add the diluted mix (a premix that you buy.......or one that you make yourself with concentrate and distilled water).....as you already have a 50/50 mix in there.

veerg
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
As the 2000 does not have a Radiator cap, do you use the reservoir bottle when filling up....or you have to take one of the hoses off ?

serge_saati
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes it has a rad cap in the 2000. You mean it's not a pressure cap.

veerg
03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, I will be damned.....I can not find the rad cap of any sort in my 2000 Winnie. I have three other vehicles. I have no trouble finding it on them. In fact I changed the rad on my Kia Rio. So I know what they look like.
Are you sure there is a cap on the radiator of 2000 ?

northern piper
03-31-2010, 07:53 PM
no there is no rad cap on the 2000 w/s. If adding fluid it must go thru the reservoir.

northern piper
03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
no there is no rad cap on the 2000 w/s. If adding fluid it must go thru the reservoir.

serge_saati
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
I remember, I already see a cap on the passenger side of the rad in a 1999. I think it's similar in 2000. Maybe my vision was an hallucination, I dunno.

So I just check in catalog, they said they have also a rad cap:

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/hires/W01331666191GAT.JPG?width=300&height=300

They also said there's an adapter for the rad cap:

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.rockauto.c om%2FStant%2F12021.jpg&imagekey=48759-0&width=450

I don't know. I must check again.

veerg
04-01-2010, 08:37 AM
May be 1999 does. But 2000 dos not have a cap.

AvalonJohn
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Question? If I install a flush kit and T on the heater line and run water via a hose through the system with the drain cock open, won't it remove all of the old anti-freeze and all I have to do is fill it up with 50/50 mixture since the water used to flush the system will all drain as well? Or will some of the water used to flush the system still be in the system and won't come out 100% and put a higher % of ant-freeze in?

Thanks,

AJ

serge_saati
07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
No, it'll not remove all the distillated water. So it's better to put more than 50% of anti-freeze and add distillated water after.

wiswind
07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
A "T" connector for a flush will help in flushing out the system....HOWEVER you will STILL have a LOT of fluid left in there.
I recommend that you do the end of the flush with distilled water......then remove as much as you can and then add full strength G-05 coolant in the amount that is slightly more than 50% of the rated capacity of your system.
In other words......if the total system capacity is 8 quarts......add slightly more than 4 quarts of concentrated G-05 coolant.
Then.....if you still have room.....top off with distilled water.

crrobbins
07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I am going to do a flush on wife's Windstar(1999-3.8). After reading these posts I double checked and her van has no radiator cap. Fill is done through reservoir and pressure cap is on reservoir. Glad I read these posts.

Add your comment to this topic!