Engine bay, really really warm...

PilotMojo
04-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Yah so i notice after i drive for a long period of time. the engine gets hot, OBVIOUSLY. But i wonder how do you know when your engine is too hot. Granted the gauge in teh car would tell you, but is there anyway to reduce the heat in the engine bay (that sounds stupid, sorry).

Anything at all....?

luti
04-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Vented hood, better radiator, remove extra plastic, like the airbox. Other than that, move to a colder climate.

PilotMojo
04-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Yah Chicago can only do so much....

luti
04-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by PilotMojo
Yah Chicago can only do so much....

HAHA, the funny part is I'm currently living in Rochester NY, but I should be home this summer.

Gerbilo
04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
yay chicago! ;)

any reason why you need to reduce heat?

PilotMojo
04-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Well
its sounds gay, or stupid. or both for that matter

But it seems unusually warm after i drive. maybe its taht i drive it hard? i dont know...
But it seems really really warm...

Yah GO CHICAGO

Gerbilo
04-21-2003, 06:01 PM
run your heat vents ;)

funkdaflex1
04-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Woo hoo hell yeah thats right chi town rocks hey if u guys are interested and or in the area the mcgrath honda dealer in st. charles is having a car show this friday from 7-9 they had a show at the elgin honda last friday sponsored by b96 and it was offf the hook i thought it was going to be dumb as hell but it was crazy tons of cars from import revolution. its going to be sponsored by some other radio station i forgot what one but hey if u guys need directions or something just let me know it would be kool to see people from the forums there.

Gerbilo
04-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Fill me in on this stuff in 3 weeks when i get outta school and am living back in the chicagoland area! I'd be interested in all shows going on or meeting up or something of the sort...

wasn't this topic about heat?

strodda
04-22-2003, 08:19 PM
use header wrap, thatll help keep heat in... and supposedly help performance.

luti
04-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by strodda
use header wrap, thatll help keep heat in... and supposedly help performance.

Be prepared to have your header/exhaust manifold crack if you wrap it...

knorsk
04-25-2003, 11:40 PM
flush your radiator. And check your coolant for starters. Also if you get a metal radiator cap it helps (for some reason keep your engine cooler) than having a abs plastic cap for some reason...by about 10 degrees. Isn't much but it's a start. Heat shields. Um check and make sure your fans turn on and if not maybe it's a fuse.

flylwsi
04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
your engine will get pretty darn hot.. not a big deal...

the gauge will tell you if it's too hot...

if you free up any opening to let air into the engine bay, you'll cool it down, but not much... it's pretty tight under there...

markpa
04-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by luti

Be prepared to have your header/exhaust manifold crack if you wrap it... How do you figure that?

flylwsi
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
they could, theoretically, crack if you have that much heat in them...

the heat wrap keeps the heat inside the header, meaning that the temp stays up, the velocity of the gas stays up, and moves out of the system quicker, making more power...

downside is extreme heat inside the tubing, which stresses welds, so there is a higher possibilty of damage from the heat...

it's not a given, but it's possible.

Add your comment to this topic!