Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squealing torque converter

Skitzy
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
1998 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion, 5.7L. After the engine warms completely, there is a loud squeal at the area around the torque converter. It is only there at idle, even when moving. It disappears as soon as the accelerator is touched and returns as soon as I take my foot off the pedal. Very embarrassing, especially at traffic lights. Any ideas?

MT-2500
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
1998 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion, 5.7L. After the engine warms completely, there is a loud squeal at the area around the torque converter. It is only there at idle, even when moving. It disappears as soon as the accelerator is touched and returns as soon as I take my foot off the pedal. Very embarrassing, especially at traffic lights. Any ideas?

Pull inspection plate and have a look and see in there.
For anything lose or rubbing.
And be sure to check the end of starter.

Skitzy
04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I pulled the starter and the inspection plate and I didn't see anything out of order. Nothing rubbing or loose, no metal scratches or shavings. Just what looked like normal shiny flywheel teeth. I tried shimming the starter and that had no effect.

What throws me is that it does not squeal when I press on the gas. It sounds like a bad belt squeal, but I pulled the belt and it's still there. Weird.

I heard that it's possible for the front transmission pump to squeak. Is that true? Or how about a rear main seal or bearing? It is undoubtedly coming from the bell housing area.

Thanks again.

MT-2500
04-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I pulled the starter and the inspection plate and I didn't see anything out of order. Nothing rubbing or loose, no metal scratches or shavings. Just what looked like normal shiny flywheel teeth. I tried shimming the starter and that had no effect.

What throws me is that it does not squeal when I press on the gas. It sounds like a bad belt squeal, but I pulled the belt and it's still there. Weird.

I heard that it's possible for the front transmission pump to squeak. Is that true? Or how about a rear main seal or bearing? It is undoubtedly coming from the bell housing area.

Thanks again.

I would rule out rear main seal or bearing.

Does it do it in gear or netural?
Hard to say But.
Could be in transmission.
Might be best to get a good repair shop to have a look at it.

Let us know how it goes.

Skitzy
04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
It's squealing in all gears including neutral and park. It only stops when the accelerator is pressed. The pitch is constant, but the frequency is definitely affected by engine speed. AND, it only happens after the engine is fully warmed up, never on cold start up, so heat has something to do with it as well.

A good repair shop sounds like the way to go, when I can afford it. I'll just have to keep pecking at it and getting embarrassed until then.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!