98 4.3 water in oil

hoot972
03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Just got 1998 1500 4.3 v6 vortec 213000. Hardly any oil or water in it. Changed oil, flushed and filled radiator, runs great. Now radiator level going down oil level going up. Water in oil. Heads, crack, any ideas. Maybe something easy i'm missing to check?

RustyChevy
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Just got 1998 1500 4.3 v6 vortec 213000. Hardly any oil or water in it. Changed oil, flushed and filled radiator, runs great. Now radiator level going down oil level going up. Water in oil. Heads, crack, any ideas. Maybe something easy i'm missing to check?

to me it sounds as if you're getting water/anti-freeze into your oil. there are a couple of things that can cause this. you could have a cracked head or a worn out seal. either way, this can cause serious damage to the motor. when it was running, did you notice any weird smells or smoke coming from the engine bay or exhaust? If you get a fishy smell while it's running, you're burning through anti-freeze. I'm pretty sure you would know what burning oil smells like. what you really need to be carefull about is if you ended up with a cracked block. sounds like you probably got a truck that was driven hard, or never kept well maintained. I would start by checking your seals, then the heads, then the block. maybe you will luck out and only need some new seals/gaskets. hope this helps

hoot972
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Thats what i'm afraid of. No smokes or smells but hadn't put antifreeze in yet. Only driven about 50 miles so far. I guess its out of here, don't feel like rebuilding. Thanks

tblake
03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
My first gut feeling would be Lower Intake Gaskets.

pprince72
03-27-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure if the V6 has the same problem as the V8 350s but if they do I agree with the lower intake gasket they are known and I have experienced it myself. It trashed my engine and had my local GM dealer switch engine and they took the old intake and new gaskets in and about 30,000 miles later it started using antifreeze. I checked around and found out using Fel-Pro Permadryplus® Intake Manifold Gaskets made specifically to solve the problem so I installed the gaskets myself and haven't had a problem since. Good Luck

tblake
03-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Permadry plus are what I have in my 350 part number ms-98000T. No issues yet. The gm ones it seems are designed to fail.

Not the same motor I know, but I have sort of an open ended thread started about the quality (or lack thereof) of GM delco lower intake gaskets. Worth a read, there is a lot of valuable insight.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=958284

jdmccright
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I'll agree, intake manifold gaskets are the most common reason for mixing coolant & oil. But I will note that there is one other place they can mix...in the radiator from a leaking internal cooler. I had a similar problem with a 4.3L Jimmy after a good rad flush...tranny fluid mixing with coolant. I sold the truck before I could verify this...it was slipping and engine temp was higher...but it seemed too coincidental to negate.

Do a coolant system pressure test and leak down test to see where the leak could be...I'm just offering another possible cause based on what was done. Good luck!
8900b/MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Add your comment to this topic!