Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

best mix for Tamiya bottle paint

sugarcaddy
04-18-2003, 08:17 PM
I have looked around for an answer and have not come up with a 100% answer that answers my question-
I want to mix Tamiya bottle paint with a thinner for my airbrush, but the thinner I used made the paint thick and goooy at the bottom of the sifon cup. I used Lacquer thinner to mix it which Im pretty sure now that that's not the right thing to mix-So what is the best thinner to mix Tamiya bottle paint with?? I don't need a smart ass remark like Tamiya thinner either:finger:

Scott

freakray
04-18-2003, 08:40 PM
You don't need a smart ass answer like Tamiya thinner?
Well, then you must know that is the answer you are likely to get.

Acryllic paint and lacquer thinner just don't mix, you need to use the appropriate thinner for the paint you are using, in this case, if you are using Tamiya acryllic paint then the absolute best thinner to use is definitely Tamiya acryllic thinner.
Whatever paint you are using, the thinner should be the same type as the paint you are using, enamel thinners for enamels, lacquer thinners for lacquers and acryllic thinners for acryllics.

sugarcaddy
04-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Sorry - not the answer Im looking for either. Do I use Acitone, Lacquer Thinner, generic paint thinner, what? I don't buy cans of acryllic paint thinner. I need specific names like I should go out and buy a can of ______ thinner to mix with my paint. I don't have access to Tamiya thinner whatever that mixture is I want to know so I can buy a generic thinner type.

Scott

freakray
04-18-2003, 08:53 PM
I already told you that you can't use lacquer thinner or anything like that.

I use Tamiya thinner, but I have heard of people using rubbing alcohol or even windex to thin acryllic paints.

You have yet to say that you have Tamiya acryllics though, so I am assuming you have Tamiya acryllics as they are more available in the USA than Tamiya's enamels.
There was a thread a while ago discussing alternatives to use for thinning Tamiya acryllics too.

If you can't find a good enough answer, you could always try some experimentation based on what you have learnt here?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96365&highlight=tamiya+windex+alcohol

sugarcaddy
04-18-2003, 09:01 PM
What is Tamiya thinner based on? Is it a Acitone base or what?? I do have the acryllic based paints so Im not sure what to use. I have in the past used lacquer thinner to thin my oil based paints for airbrushing with no problems (testors paints) but the Tamiya stuff seems to not work the same way....

Scott

freakray
04-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Lacquers and enamels are oil based, acryllics are water based, this is why the thinners for oil based paints don't work with water based paints.
Acetone is suitable for oil based paints too, I have been trying to explain that, acetone will not work with acryllics.
Tamiya thinners are alcohol based, but to be honest I have not been able to find out which specific alcohol.
Alcohols are water based and so they mix with acryllics without a problem to thin them.

Asmenoth
04-18-2003, 09:30 PM
I've got some Tamiya thinner and it smeels ALOT like rubbing alcohol. So if you don't want to buy Tamiya thinner, try that...but their thinner smells like an alcohol base.

BaNe
04-18-2003, 10:24 PM
TAMIYA THINNER ALL THE WAY! and mis it 90% Paint 10 % thinner. only use TAMIYA thinner

BaNe
04-18-2003, 10:25 PM
what part of TX you from?

daggerlee
04-19-2003, 05:13 AM
The Tamiya thinner is primarily isopropyl alcohol base, but if you use rubbing alcohol in place of Tamiya thinner for Tamiya's gloss paints, you won't get a glossy finish. This is because Tamiya adds glycerin to their thinner which promotes flow. So, use Tamiya thinner to thin Tamiya gloss paints, rubbing alcohol to thin Tamiya flat paints, and rubbing alcohol to clean your airbrush.

flyonthewall
04-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Not being a smart ass but use Tamiya thinner. Why start worrying about compatibility with other thinners when you can buy the appropriate one???

sugarcaddy
04-19-2003, 07:49 AM
So even though Tamiya paint is an acryllic (usually a water base) it needs to be thinned with rubbing alcohol or Tamiya thinner? Well that explains why my lacquer thinner gumed up the mix.
I guess a trip to the hobby shop is in question now for some Tamiya thinner. :(
My local shop sucks when it comes to Tamiya products, most likely I will have to order it online..... :cry:

Thanks for all the info guys, you rock!

Scott

Add your comment to this topic!