Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another About Primer

ChopinPorkChop
04-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Ok i know there is prob alot of threads that roughly answer my Q but i would jus like to have an answer to my prob.... Ok i bought a diecast plastic bike, took it apart, sanded down body with prob 600/800 and finished with 2000.. it took all paint off and then i applied some primer.. it filled in any rough spots and i sanded down the entire layer. so now it is smooth but i can obviously see the scratches but if i rub my hand over them i feel nothing.. will this show on my paint job? and what is my next step? apply another coat of primer and paint?

thnx
CPC

TheSyndicate
04-18-2003, 08:10 PM
You could have avoided sanding the paint down, by stripping the paint with CSC/DOT3. Anyway, give it a few more shots of primer, then sand it down enough so you haven't lost any detail, but have covered the scratches.

PorschePong
04-18-2003, 08:16 PM
actually I was worrying about the scratches on the primer as well
but as long as u sand the car in one direction, and then u paint your car
it should be find! (as shown on my 360 below)

ChopinPorkChop
04-18-2003, 08:17 PM
well i figured i needed to sand anyways so the paint had somthing to stick to... anyways it is alredy smooth, and im thinkin jus another layer of primer then paint heres a ref pic of the scratches im talkin about

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/224665MVC-017S.JPG

srre pic is blurry

PorschePong
04-18-2003, 08:17 PM
*it should be fine

(smacking my head)

Mainomega
04-18-2003, 08:18 PM
fine scrathes on the primer will show through on your paint. Remember paint hides nothing

Add your comment to this topic!