Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Blazer engine quit

adcompsol
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I was driving down the highway one night when the engine in my 99 Blazer quit. The battery indicator light came on and the volt meter read about 9 volts. I pulled to the side and stopped. First thought was the battery or the alternator died, but the headlights were still bright. The motor would easily turn over, but I could not get it to start. I left the car and came back the next day, hopped in and it started. Now the volt meter now reads 14 volts. I am assuming that once the car cooled of the problem went away.

Any idea what would cause the battery indicator light to be on and the volt meter to read 9 volts, but would still allow the motor to easily turn over??

Airjer_
03-24-2010, 02:00 PM
With the engine not running the volt meter would read lower than 14 volts.

adcompsol
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
With the engine not running the volt meter would read lower than 14 volts.

I agree the volt meter should read lower than 14 volt with the engine not running, but it shouldn't be 9 volts. I'd expect the volt meter to read around 12 volts.

4x4 blazerguy
03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm wondering if this isn't the ONE warning you get that a fuel pump is failing. I don't think it has anything to do with the volt meter reading. My volt meter reads 11 volts most of the time & when I check it with my digital meter it is charging 14.2V.
My experience is that the fuel pump could be getting ready to give up. I've had a similar experience & with in a few weeks it left me on the side of the road. The fuel pump will as a rule start & run the truck after it sits for a few hours but finally it will quit for good. Check the fuel pressure it should be 60 PSI.

adcompsol
03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm wondering if this isn't the ONE warning you get that a fuel pump is failing. I don't think it has anything to do with the volt meter reading. My volt meter reads 11 volts most of the time & when I check it with my digital meter it is charging 14.2V.
My experience is that the fuel pump could be getting ready to give up. I've had a similar experience & with in a few weeks it left me on the side of the road. The fuel pump will as a rule start & run the truck after it sits for a few hours but finally it will quit for good. Check the fuel pressure it should be 60 PSI.
I'll check the pressure on the pump, I've seen those fail on S-10s before.

What I think everyone is missing is that when the Blazer won't start the volt meter reads 9 volts with the engine off and when the problem is not there the volt meter reads about 12 volts with the engine off. I am aware that the volt meters can read low on these Blazers but I see a distinct difference in the volt meter reading when the car has the problem.

MT-2500
03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll check the pressure on the pump, I've seen those fail on S-10s before.

What I think everyone is missing is that when the Blazer won't start the volt meter reads 9 volts with the engine off and when the problem is not there the volt meter reads about 12 volts with the engine off. I am aware that the volt meters can read low on these Blazers but I see a distinct difference in the volt meter reading when the car has the problem.

Dash gauges can not read right.
Always check battery voltage at the battery for correct battery voltage.

When it quits or no start is when you need to check for lose of spark or fuel pressure.

Do you have any check engine lights or codes?

viggy58
03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
also check the obvious... you may have a ground going bad. clean the terminals and trace all the grounds. make sure they are secure.

Add your comment to this topic!