How long do you let the primer dry?


chaos
04-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Another one of these...from reading the a lot of the previous threads, I find that primer is left to dry anywhere from 24 hours to one week before painting commences. Sooo, just to see where the majority stands:

1) 24 hours
2) in between
3) 1 week

Also, does the drying time depend on what paint is going to be used? Ie, do I let the primer dry for longer if I intend on using automotive laquers?

bah humbug
04-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Personally a day or more.

If the weather is good out the next day and I can't help myself I go right ahead and spray.

Shortest time on Af is probably supratuner. After priming the body supratuner only waited 2 hours then spray painted.

flyonthewall
04-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Overnight is good enough for me. A week or more really isn't necessary IMO.

primera man
04-18-2003, 04:43 PM
The shortest time IMO to leave it would be 5 days to allow the primer to gas and harden before any top coats go on.

Sidewinder-03
04-18-2003, 05:15 PM
If you use DupliColor primer, you can wet sand after 30mins, colorcoat within the hour. Providing you don't have to do any extra body work after priming.

God|Zilla168
04-18-2003, 05:24 PM
it depends, I used automotive primer and waited about 3-5 days or until the smell is gone. Once the smell is gone then I know it has harden up really good. Right now I am testing with some kryon primer it is white and is much cheaper then the tamiya white primer. Dries in about 30 mins but it still has the smell so i will wait till the smell is gone. This stuff is great after dried I wet sand it a bit and it feels like the white plastic, If i did not know it I would say it was never primed. I think this stuff is even better then the automotive primer I will show sme pics once the project is done.

chaos
04-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by God|Zilla168
it depends, I used automotive primer and waited about 3-5 days or until the smell is gone. Once the smell is gone then I know it has harden up really good. Right now I am testing with some kryon primer it is white and is much cheaper then the tamiya white primer. Dries in about 30 mins but it still has the smell so i will wait till the smell is gone. This stuff is great after dried I wet sand it a bit and it feels like the white plastic, If i did not know it I would say it was never primed. I think this stuff is even better then the automotive primer I will show sme pics once the project is done.

Appreciate if you'd let me know how the Kryon goes. Cos I've seen the stuff here and it IS cheaper than Tamiya.

Jay!
04-18-2003, 06:13 PM
1.5 hours in the dehydrator at 110 = 24 hours in the cupboard. :)

supratuner
04-18-2003, 06:17 PM
any where from 2 hours, to a few days, but its better not to wait as long as a week.

Mr B
04-18-2003, 06:35 PM
i have painted over primer after 2 hours with no problems, but usually try to leave at least over night.
cheers B:ylsuper

ChopinPorkChop
04-18-2003, 07:52 PM
i just brush primered the body of my bike just to fill some scratches and sanded it all back off in 10 mins :D nice n smooth

Mainomega
04-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Ya, it depends on what kind you use. But my Krylon sandable primer is good to go after 30 mins.

I usually just let it go overnight just to make sure.

COZMO6476
04-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
1.5 hours in the dehydrator at 110 = 24 hours in the cupboard. :)

I like your style ;)

Jay!
04-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by COZMO6476
I like your style ;) It's the only way to dry. ;)

integra818
04-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by God|Zilla168
it depends, I used automotive primer and waited about 3-5 days or until the smell is gone. Once the smell is gone then I know it has harden up really good. Right now I am testing with some kryon primer it is white and is much cheaper then the tamiya white primer. Dries in about 30 mins but it still has the smell so i will wait till the smell is gone. This stuff is great after dried I wet sand it a bit and it feels like the white plastic, If i did not know it I would say it was never primed. I think this stuff is even better then the automotive primer I will show sme pics once the project is done.

I, along with chaos, would be happy if you tell us how the krylon thing goes. This could be very good for us, because alot of us buy the expensive Tamiya stuff, and If I find out krylon is just as good, I'll be really glad :D .

Thanks :)


EDIT: I wait 24 hours, but next time I'm gonna go with P-mans advice and wait a week. :)

God|Zilla168
04-19-2003, 07:05 AM
okay here is the result so far with the kyron white primer.

The primer needs to be dry at least 2hr before you can even really touch it and wet sand it but I waited a good 24hrs and the result is even better. There is still a little smell of the primer but only if you put your nose up to it so maybe i will wait for another few hours. I notice that the white primer does not cover well over the putty on first try but it goes the same with any white primer I think unless is grey. After I wet sand the white primer to get rid of the orange peel to my surprise it feels like smooth flat paint. I think is pretty good.

Anyways getting back to the primer and real paint. I tested a large piece of styrene I had and used the primer and paint and it works very well. I will stick with this white primer instead of the tamiya primer. We all know that tamiya is a great company but they over charge us modelers on their paints supplies and brushes etc.

at 5.99 canadian for the kyron and you get a large spray can of primer it is by far much better then paying 9 bucks for a small primer.

The white primer that I used is call

Krylon: Home decoor durable primer.

On the back it says works on wood, wicker, metal and most plastic. ( I asked why most plastic and the guy said that some plastic are rigid and does not bend or move while some will be moved a lot and bend a lot so the primer may no stick well to the one that moves around a lot since it may cause crack. I figure I am not going to ben dmy models so I will give it a try)

So I hope you guys find this stuff since I just went to canadian tires to pick up like 5 bottles at a sale price of 3.99.

will post pick later on the model and the pic of the primer I used.

daggerlee
04-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by integra818


I, along with chaos, would be happy if you tell us how the krylon thing goes. This could be very good for us, because alot of us buy the expensive Tamiya stuff, and If I find out krylon is just as good, I'll be really glad :D .

Thanks :)


EDIT: I wait 24 hours, but next time I'm gonna go with P-mans advice and wait a week. :)

Krylon Primer is good but it goes on a little too thick for me.

Mean_B16
04-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Depending on the type of primer you use you should be able to paint with in 24 hours at most, I use Krylon primer and it dries within the hour.

God|Zilla168
04-19-2003, 12:53 PM
really? this one dries very very thin.

there are a few krylon primers but i use the one i suggested and it dries really thin. Maybe you sprayed on it a little thick.

Anyways is still pretty good and is cheaper than the tamiya. Otherwise i use automotive grey primer for my dark colors

chaos
04-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info Krylon

Deejay4lyfe
04-19-2003, 04:46 PM
1 day to a week imo
TC

daggerlee
04-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by God|Zilla168
really? this one dries very very thin.

there are a few krylon primers but i use the one i suggested and it dries really thin. Maybe you sprayed on it a little thick.

Anyways is still pretty good and is cheaper than the tamiya. Otherwise i use automotive grey primer for my dark colors

Haven't tried the Home Decor Primer, only the General Purpose one. I'll pick a can of the Home decor and test it out!

Add your comment to this topic!