Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint chips?

Valkman
04-18-2003, 02:38 PM
OK. I have had this awesome car for a month and made one payment.

Washed it twice by hand and today I took it through a touchless car wash that I have used for years.

Now I have about a dozen paint chips across the front and a few on the sides where the red paint has given way to the primer. This sucks!!

Anyone else had any trouble with their paint like this?

johnm
04-18-2003, 08:04 PM

For some resaon Nissan has not put very good quality paint to the G or 350Z. Many of them are gettting very chipped up. A lot of it has to do with the big front end. I would suggest getting a clear bra if you want to stop it. Try this place www.rockblocker.com. My fellow G rider got his done when he got it. He is so anal about it that he waited 9 days to drive the car before he could have it done. I am getting mine done after what I have read and saw how it looks on his.

thangbu
05-13-2003, 08:13 PM
After driving my G35 coupe for a month, I had noticed a few paint chips as well. I assumed they occurred during my morning commute on the freeway. I ended up getting the 3M paint protector film put on my car and it's worked great....not one chip since and it's been about 4 months. Everywhere I ask charged from $500 to $900 for the installation. So, I purchased the film myself and installed it myself--cost only about $250. Installation was fairly easy.

johnm
05-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Congrats on the install. Did you do the bumoer too?

thangbu
05-20-2003, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I did the whole front bumper, part of the hood, and side mirrors, even the aluminum kick plates. The bumper pieces I bought precut but the rest I just purchased sheets and cut myself. The website that I purchased the precut pieces gave me the installation solution, spray bottle, and squeezee. Overall, it was fairly easy and saved a bunch of money.

Tidal
06-02-2003, 06:09 PM
I've got alot more paint problems than chips. I took my new G-35 to the beach last friday night and over night seagulls or pelicans felt it necessary to drop thier nasty duty on my hood. I washed the bird poop off the very next morning within the hour of finding it. However to late, The soft clearcoat had been eaten into like acid. The dealer won't cover it. So be warned this paint will not stand up to bird dropings for even one night. I am outraged by the incompitence of a major auto manufacturer to let this happen in todays age or advanced technology. I known its bird stuff and not vandalism. My friends car was parked next to mine and got the same stuff on his, however it washed off his with out the slightest bit of haze remaining. The dealer said they could "wet sand"and rebuff mine out for $50 to $100 mabey more. My new G-35 has lost some of it's hype. I'm afraid to drive it for fear a bird might fly over while I'm at work!

markwsc
06-25-2003, 08:02 PM
I have a 2003 G35, color Garnet. I've never seen paint chip on a car this bad. My car is only 10 months old. Has anyone heard of any secret warranties through Infiniti?

2000i30cg
06-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Although I don't own a G35, I do have an i30, but I must say I have experienced the same chipping! I do not know what it is with Nissan's paint, but this stuff appears to be crap. They need to seriously look into getting some high quality stuff, especially for the price of these cars. -Curtis

BG35
10-13-2003, 06:05 PM
I ended up getting the 3M paint protector film put on my car and it's worked great....not one chip since and it's been about 4 months. So, I purchased the film myself and installed it myself--cost only about $250. Installation was fairly easy.[/QUOTE]

How is the film you installed doing now? Also, how can I get it for such a good price?

Thanks a lot!

thangbu
10-13-2003, 06:35 PM
I ended up getting the 3M paint protector film put on my car and it's worked great....not one chip since and it's been about 4 months. So, I purchased the film myself and installed it myself--cost only about $250. Installation was fairly easy.

How is the film you installed doing now? Also, how can I get it for such a good price?

Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

the film is working great. it was definitely worth it...i've only had one new chip since and it's been almost 7 months now. the new chip was probably caused by a pretty nice size rock and was going pretty fast since it actually punctured through the film itself. but other than that, it's worth the investment.

the way i was able to get the price for the film was by purchasing pre-cut and uncut rolls of the film. the pre-cut film as you may know is a lot more expensive. i purchased them through invincashield.com. i only purchased the front bumper pieces. i then purchased rolls of the film through vehicleprotectionfilms.com for really CHEAP!!!! with the uncut rolls, i used for the hood and side fender area adjacent to the headlights. if you check the prices for pre-cut hood pieces, they cost quite bit. however, a roll of the film costs under $4/sq foot. the nice thing about purchasing the pre-cut pieces was that invincashield sent me a instructional video and all the supplies you need for self-install (squeegee, spray bottle, installation solution, etc).

since then, i've even put film on the aluminum kickplates on the door panel and even under the front bumper due to the low clearance and the problem with scraping when parking.

BG35
10-13-2003, 06:52 PM
I've never tampered with a paint job except for waxing... Would I have the skills to do such a job?

Thanks again

thangbu
10-13-2003, 07:58 PM
I've never tampered with a paint job except for waxing... Would I have the skills to do such a job?

Thanks again

to be honest with you, it wasn't difficult at all. all it took was some time and patience. i've never done anything like this before either and i've never been really good with my hands. but i was able to do it. i think the thing that helped the most though was the solution that invincashield included with their pieces. it made it so easy. just spray it on your car and the piece of film, place the film on the car, and squeegee the excess solution from under the film. the solution of alcohol that the 3m website talks about for installation sucks. the only hard part was the curved or recessed area, but since the film is pretty pliable, i just kind of molded it into place.

but i don't want to urge you to do it yourself and it back-firing on you. i've seen some posts from ppl who got theirs installed for $350 total. for me, i couldn't find anyone to do it for that price so i did it myself. if you can find someone, i would definitely pay $350 even $400 for it because it did take all day. but it was actually fun and nice to know that i did it myself. if i were you, if i couldn't find anyone with a reasonable price, buy a small sample from vehicleprotectionfilms.com and try it yourself. i believe the "special" solution that was given to me was really just diluted baby shampoo or something like it. you can buy a flat plastic squeegee or even a flat piece of plastic similar to a credit card, spray some diluted soapy water on the car and adhesive side of the film and try it out on your car. remember to wrap the squeegee or plastic card with a paper towel so it wont scratch to film or paint. if you decide to do it yourself, let me know because i can give you some insights on areas that i had difficulty on.

BG35
10-15-2003, 12:49 AM
[/QUOTE]if you decide to do it yourself, let me know because i can give you some insights on areas that i had difficulty on.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your insights. Maybe I will put the film on myself. There is the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Also, I will know that the job is done right. Plus me and my G35 are due for a little bonding time.

I am definitely going to look into the sights that you forwarded to me. How could Infiniti slight their masterpiece (G35) and skip out on the paint job? Anyhow, with a little manual labor and the film I'll have the protection on my G35 that it deserves.

Thanks

BG35

thangbu
10-15-2003, 12:56 AM
just let me know if you need any help/advice on the install. but definitely, you'll always have that sense of pride knowing that you did it yourself. also, once you know how to do it, if you have to repair certain areas, you can always do it yourself for cheap. i've gone crazy with the extra film pieces and have applied it to the side mirrors, over the clear corners, aluminum kickplates, and the underside of the front bumper.

jhuer
11-30-2003, 09:45 AM
cool. which size and thickness did you buy? actually, do you know where i can buy the spray and stuff w/out first buying a full kit? thanks.

thangbu
11-30-2003, 01:05 PM
cool. which size and thickness did you buy? actually, do you know where i can buy the spray and stuff w/out first buying a full kit? thanks.

it's been awhile since i purchased and installed the film, so i don't remember the sizes/amount i purchased. however, i remember i just used a tape measure to estimate how much i needed. since i purchased the pre-cut pieces for the bumper, i only needed uncut film for the fender, hood, and side mirrors. i would really recommend doing the same since the bumper is pretty elaborate and would be very difficult to do with uncut pieces. also, you would get the installation supplies and instruction video for free. if you still want the use the uncut pieces alone, i really don't know where you can get the installation solution. the spray bottle and squeegee you can get anywhere on the web at tint supplies places. the solution i believe is just diluted baby shampoo, but i'm not absolutely sure on that. i do know it's just some sort of soapy liquid and sure smells like baby shampoo. also, i believe the thickness was 8mil.

in retrospect, i would hire someone to do the film for me if the price was right. at the time i was quoted from $600-900, because the area i live just charged more for these type of things. however, recently i've seen in several forums that many places are offering deals for forum members and charging only $400 or so. if you check out these other forums (freshalloy or g35driver.com), you may still find these deals. don't get me wrong, i enjoyed doing it myself and the whole installation wasn't that difficult. but, since it still cost me about $250, i would have gladly paid $400 to have it professionally done because it did take me all day.

BG35
11-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Thank you for your reply. I've received a number of great replies from the forum. I will definately use the advice you gave when installing the film. I'm also weighing the option to just pay the 500 for the paint Simonez protectant/wax directly from the dealer. However installing the film myself seems to be better solution

thangbu
12-01-2003, 01:13 AM
Thank you for your reply. I've received a number of great replies from the forum. I will definately use the advice you gave when installing the film. I'm also weighing the option to just pay the 500 for the paint Simonez protectant/wax directly from the dealer. However installing the film myself seems to be better solution

i'm not 100 percent sure but i believe the protectant/wax you're talking about is pretty worthless from what i hear. it's not a true "clearbra" but only a wax which would be worthless in protecting from rock chips.

BG35
12-01-2003, 07:29 PM
You know, you right. That paint/protectant won't help chips. I guess I was thinking more about the dicoloration from tree sap, bird droppings...

However the film will do the trick for paint chips, sap and droppings. Looks like I'll be using the film instead. Thanks man. You just helped me not blow 500 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!

thangbu
12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
You know, you right. That paint/protectant won't help chips. I guess I was thinking more about the dicoloration from tree sap, bird droppings...

However the film will do the trick for paint chips, sap and droppings. Looks like I'll be using the film instead. Thanks man. You just helped me not blow 500 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!

i think as long as you clean up the tree sap or bird droppings quickly and not let it sit there for a long time, i don't think you'll have to worry about discoloration of the paint.

BG35
12-07-2003, 04:28 AM
That's good to know. I had just gotten a little up tight after reading the automotive forum info on the paint.

Thanks again

jhuer
12-07-2003, 09:00 PM
that's frustrating...nobody know of a place where i can order the applicator stuff?

thanks.

thangbu
12-08-2003, 02:44 AM
[QUOTE=jhuer]that's frustrating...nobody know of a place where i can order the applicator stuff?

you can always check with invinca-shield.com to see if they'll sell it to you since they give it out for free with purchase.

jhuer
12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
they got the install kit. cool. i think i'll pick that up and the protectionfilm website for 24" x footage, the 8 mil.

how difficult do you think it would be to do the bumper, not pre-cut, but from the roll? tips?

thangbu
12-09-2003, 09:21 PM
they got the install kit. cool. i think i'll pick that up and the protectionfilm website for 24" x footage, the 8 mil.

how difficult do you think it would be to do the bumper, not pre-cut, but from the roll? tips?

personally, i think it would be very difficult to do the bumper with uncut pieces. on a scale of difficulty for the install for the g35 coupe and 350z, i believe i read somewhere that it was somewhat difficult. and trying to do it with uncut pieces, in my opinion, would be extremely difficult. all in all though, i didn't think it was hard at all. all it takes is some patience. the install solution that invincashield gives you makes it very easy. however, some areas take a bit of time and a lot of patience. for example, the curved areas require that you pull on the film a bit and manipulate it to cover those areas. i found that those areas didn't even require a squeegee. i just used my fingers to slowly apply the film and to take out the excess water. if you mess up, just carefully lift up the film and spray some more installation solution and start over.

going back to uncut pieces vs precut pieces, you will have to have a steady hand to make the nice straight, precise incisions into the film. also, it is not recommended that you apply first and then cut the excess later after it's been applied on the car. you may cut into the paint. therefore, you will have to cut beforehand which most likely will turn out wrong since they are all curved surfaces. i chose to do the uncut pieces for the fender and hood since they are relatively flat and only slightly curved.

practice first on hood and fender pieces. i think they are the easiest. good luck!!!

hdenton
01-09-2004, 02:08 PM

Washed it twice by hand and today I took it through a touchless car wash that I have used for years.

Now I have about a dozen paint chips across the front and a few on the sides where the red paint has given way to the primer. This sucks!!

Same thing with my new infiniti. Maybe the second trip to the car wash and paint flew off the grill and front bumper. There is no sign of rock dings but infiniti so far is denying the claim. I also have the wheel discoloration and the smell mentioned on other sights. HD

Scurvy Dog
01-12-2004, 07:09 PM
This sounds like a great idea to protect my investment. However, I wonder how the film looks at the edge. I know it's only .006 to .008 mils thick so it shouldn't be very noticble but is it really. Can you notice the film easily? Do the edges start to peel at all?

Jackdono
04-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I have a 2003 G35, color Garnet. I've never seen paint chip on a car this bad. My car is only 10 months old. Has anyone heard of any secret warranties through Infiniti?

My G35 is also 10 months old and looks awful! Last friday I asked the dealership if the chipping was abnormal. They said no and no recall with the paint. I had a Corvette prior to the G, it is lower to the ground than the G and did not have anywhere near the problem I'm having with the this thing. Do you think trying to move the problems above the dealership to Infinity would help us get anywhere?

khfromhb
05-07-2004, 11:14 PM
i had the film put on my 350z the day after i got it and it cost me 380 bucks installed. the paint is all perfect but after your horror stories im thinking of getting a few layers of clearcoat put on over my paint at a local paint shop or maybe even having the whole car repainted in mazora brand or something else high quality.

littleE
05-15-2004, 01:20 PM

Yes, paint chips galore!!

I’ve personally have owned many new cars and I have never experienced (or heard of) a problem such has I have now. I purchased this car several months ago, I have 7,500 miles on it and the front end and side panels looks like it’s been sprayed with white paint - these are chips in my paint! 7,500 miles can you believe that? It’s clear the paint is NOT adhering to the primer. I’m completely disturbed with the paint quality of this car. This is suppose to be a high end car and the integrity of the product behind it and you would think the warrenty would honor it - but it does not. I’ve taken it to the dealer and results of the inspection were declined. As a consumer what am I suppose to do? Any recommendations?

I you have any stories or suggestions please email me at cjbirrell@hotmail.com .

acepero
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
I've had my Black 2004 G35 coupe for about 5 months now and I'm deeply disappointed. I've had several black cars in the past that even after 3 or 4 years didn't look half as bad as this one does now after only 5 months. I have tons of paint chips and dulling, and the paint on the sides by the rear wheels is permanently damaged from rocks and salt. I've even had the car hand waxed twice and polished once. At first, I thought it was just me and my terrible luck, but I found many others that have had the same problem. Of course, those of you with silver and white G35's won't notice this if you don't search for it. I made some inquiries and found out that Nissan decided to use a different kind of paint mixture on some of their cars that has less protection and is far more susceptible to scratches. It's obvious too. The car gets scratched from anything. Even the dealer scratched my car in several places when they were cleaning it up after repairing my defective cd player. How could Nissan do this? I spent alot of money on this car and I feel robbed. I'm filing a formal complaint and may even pursue legal action to remedy the situation. If you would like to be included in my complaint, email me at acepero@startingpointllc.com ...We can't allow car companies to get away with these kind of "economic" changes. When we buy something, especially something that costs as much as a G35, we expect to ge what we paid for!

Here is the 800 number for consumer complaints at Nissan/Infiniti:

1-800-662-6200

Give them a call and select the last option for general concerns. It only takes 5 minutes and have your VIN ready. We need to show them we're serious! Mention that you will most likely be pursuing legal action when they refuse to fix your problem, which is what they will do. I'm going to be writing a formal letter to them with an attached petition for some sort of monetary reimbursement. Personally, I see this as a violation of my lease - I was misled. If I had known about this problem prior to my purchase I would have stayed away from the G35.

Bdetore
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
O.k. I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I guess I want the advice. I've been reading up on the clear bras ever since I found this topic. I was wanting to purchase a G35 coupe but am having some second thoughts if the paint is going to go to hell. I've read about a bunch of different products all seemingly created by 3M and sold by different companies. I've also heard there are different thicknesses. Any advice. Is it worth the trouble to get a $40k vehicle if I have to put all this stuff on before I can drive it?

EPVQ30
09-21-2005, 11:32 PM
i am looking into getting a G35 or a TL and this was exactly one of my main worries. after owning a nissan myself and seeing my front end sand blasted in a couple of years. i decided to go to a reputable body shop and getting my front end repainted. bumper and hood with high end paint. well, after 2 winters and 3 summers and a lot more driving than b4 my front end still looks mint. guys drive the car like it was stolen dont worry about chips. when you get a few scuffs on your bumper and a few big chips on your hood just get it repainted and you'll feel a lot better about your car. take it from an anal mofo.

PHBzzz
03-14-2006, 07:29 AM
We have an 06 G35x with slate blue. Not even 4K on it and looks like it was sand blasted. The Nashua NH dealership blaims it on highway use. There are little dots of missing paint from every angle. I never saw road sand chip paint from the back and side angles. Even on the roof and trunk. Saw the same damage on a loaner car as well. Something needs to be done!

SiggyBaby
04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Are the hoods on these two cars made from fiberglass?

bigairnut
04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
If you are fighting or need to fight Infiniti because of paint chipping, please contact me ASAP. I have a 05 G35 RED that looks like it has been sandblasted. I have found another owner with the same car from the same dealership and we are fighting with Infiniti right now. They are offering to repaint my hood as a "goodwill" gesture. They admit no wrong but "want me to be happy". The paint is chipping all over the car, not just the hood. We are seriously considering legal action. I have found other forum sites (i.e. edmunds.com) where other people are posting similar concerns. I am trying to get hold of everyone. Together, we can beat them. One guy on edmunds wrote that Infiniti is buying his car back. That's what I want. I'm so frustrated now that I don't want the car at all. It's value will go down after they paint it and then the dealership will probably treat me like crap for the rest of the time I own the car. Contact me ASAP - my e-mail is chrisdhawkins@yahoo.com. Give me your name and number and tell me your story. Thanks.

geekmanager
06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I too HAD a 2005 Red G35. It had paint chips all over the car, and the dealer refused to do anything. Told me it was rock chips, even though it was on the side and top as well. Went on further to state that Infiniti will not cover it under warranty, and my only recourse was to file a Consumer complaint with Infiniti and with the Texas Attorney General Consumer Affairs department. Rather than fight with Infiniti, I immediately traded it for a Mercedes. I have owned one before, and they certainly understand better than Infiniti how to stand behind their work and build customer loyalty. I wasn't wasting my time or money pursuing them to do something they should have done to begin with. I have taken my money elsewhere.

Add your comment to this topic!