Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing brake pads

loesch8102
04-17-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure this isn't a difficult job, but I'll be replacing my pads soon and was wondering if someone could please give me a crash course on the installation.

Moppie
04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
This is harder than I thought with out a caliper in frount of me.

Anyway, Remove the wheel, thats the hard part.

On the back side of the caliper are two sets of bolts.
One set (14mm I think) hold the caliper to the strut. You dont need to touch these!
The other set are smaller (12mm I think) and part of the sliding mechanism, they are out bourd of the other set.
If you undo the bottom one of these the back half of the caliper will flip and allow you access to the pads.

Becarfull when you flip it up, as the pads and any silincer plates (thin metal plates) may fall out. When you put the new pads in its important that you put the silincer plates in with them.

You might need a G Clamp, or set of polly grips to force the piston back, if you do so then do it slowly and carefully, and watch brake fluid dosnt over flow out of the resovior.
The new pads should be marked inner and outer only if theres a differnce but I dont think there is, so just make sure the wear indicators (thin bits of metal on the pads) are not obstructing anything, flip the caliper back down and do the bolt up.

Afterwards remember to wash your hand throughly, and try to avoid breathing any brake dust, it can be harmful.

It sounds like a daunting process if you dont know what your doing, but its actualy very simple. Only one bolt needs to be undone and the hardest part maybe moving the piston back, but if you have a G/clamp its very easy.

loesch8102
04-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Awesome. Thanks a lot!

Add your comment to this topic!