Page updated on 06-21-2018

Coolant air bleeder screw - where is it?

03-23-2010, 12:26 AM
99 Grand Am SE. I cant find the bleeder screw or even the thermostat housing where I am told it should be. The upper radiator hose goes into a tube at the engine with more tubes and hoses but no screw. Any help? The part stores web sites dont even list a thermostat housing part for my car. It redirects to this tubular water diverter thing. How do I bleed air from this car with no radiator cap?

03-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Check out Xero's links in the Tips & Maintenance section at the top of this thread: ( (

Hope this helps.

03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey, thanks, that totally worked for me. I had a mechanic advising me to open the bleeder screws, and it turned out there weren't any. Apparently the engine has a constantly open air bleed system the empties into the top of the reservoir. I was banging my head against this for a while. I can't blame him... when you work on so many cars every day, it's hard to recall the details on a specific one when you're not even looking at it, you just kinda pull general procedure from memory...

So it turned out my hose between the res and radiator had plugged up and all the coolant had eventually cycled into the res and out the overflow, so when I thought I had an air pocket in the system, well... that was an understatement. I cleaned out the whole system and replaced that hose and followed the instructions on that link and all seems well now! Thought I should post this in case anyone else goes looking for a bleeder screw on this engine... oh, and just to be specific, the engine is an LD9 Twin Cam 2.4L.

03-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Glad it worked out... and thanks for posting the resolution. It's good to see these boards in action and helping folks out.

Add your comment to this topic!