Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Ranger 2WD 5-speed clutch?

yakko
03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
88 Ranger 2WD 5-speed.

Will not go in gear. Not leaking fluid. Is this a transmission or clutch issue?

And if it is a clutch, does that mean I have to pull the tranny? I've done a lot of car work, but never a clutch or tranny. Anyone have a Haynes book on this and would they say it has a good description of the job in it?

This is my stepson's truck, and I was stupid enough to offer them help in a 'general' way with whatever (moving, a little money every now and then, helping them find a washer and dryer), and now they call my bluff with a freakin clutch or tranny job? Teenagers....sigh. And there is no way they have the money to have someone else do it.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions from someone who has done one would be MOST appreciated.

spidermann59
03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
This vehicle uses a hydraulic clutch actuator. YOU might be lucky and the fluid (DOT 3) might be low or gone. The clutch master cyl. is on the drivers side next to the brake master cyl. You have to remove the tranny to replace the slave cylinder, it's inside the bell housing. NAPA sells the whole unit actuator, master and slave) at $300.00 or just the slave cylinder at $88.99. If you have any other Q's let me know!

Add your comment to this topic!