Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 s-10

Truck633
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a quick question. When running at night, my volt meter holds steady at just under 14 volts, when you release the accelerator (like pulling up to a stop sign) the lights dim and the volt meter drops down to 11/12 volts. It only drops for a second then jumps back up and everything is fine. I thought the voltage regulator was going out, so I replaced the alternator. No change. It hasn't really been a problem, it is just annoying and if someone has had this issue before and knows of an easy fix, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance

Tom

jdl
04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
The service bulletin, I looked at showed, normal operating condition, unless proven otherwise. Is this just a recent occurrence? I'd use a digital multimeter to double check gage reading, at alternator bat terminal or across battery posts. Any charging system trouble codes?

Truck633
04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
It has done it since day one, just gotten progressively worse. It hasn't caused any problems it is just really annoying.

FishFind
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
My 99 does that too. Seems that when yer under power the alternator cranks more power out. I did notice that when I changed my alternator I did the battery with it and now it stays at one spot. Not sure if it was the battery or alternator that made it stop.

Add your comment to this topic!