Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Grand Prix ABS Traction control lights

JCF
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
:screwy:The warning lights are illuminated for both ABS and Traction Control. I have a code for the left front wheel sensor. How do I know if it is the sensor or the wire harness that is bad. Can I check voltage in harness and resistance in sensor? If so what are the correct readings?
Thanks!

serge_saati
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Check resistance on sensor terminals. You should have 50 ohm. If it's too too low, replace it.
If it's too high, try to clean contact with ethanol. If no luck replace it.

Most of the time, it's the sensor.

JCF
03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Check resistance on sensor terminals. You should have 50 ohm. If it's too too low, replace it.
If it's too high, try to clean contact with ethanol. If no luck replace it.

Most of the time, it's the sensor.

Thanks for your reply. Earlier today I hooked up an ohm meter not really knowing what to look for; it appeared that I had total continuity, no resistance. If I understand your quote this means the sensor (wheel bearing assembly) requires replacement?

serge_saati
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
You don't need to replace the wheel bearing. Just extract the sensor from the assembly and replace it.

JCF
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
You don't need to replace the wheel bearing. Just extract the sensor from the assembly and replace it.

I thought the whole wheel bearing asssembly and sensor came together as one unit; do you still need to remove the whole wheel bearing hub assembly to replace the sensor>
Thanks again!

BNaylor
03-21-2010, 11:33 PM

I disagree. You replace the complete hub assembly. The wheel sensor is not replaced separately on these hubs.

Check resistance on sensor terminals. You should have 50 ohm.

Wheel sensor resistance is around 1K ohms give or take and not 50 ohms.

JCF
03-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks

serge_saati
03-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh sorry. I was comparing to other car's system. I don't know this model specifically.

cno22
04-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi,
Yes, everthing is one unit inside the wheel bearing. You have to replace the front wheel bearing that is bad. Had 2 of these go on my 01 prix.

Add your comment to this topic!