Page updated on 11-23-2017

First car!

Bullseye08
03-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I am 16 looking for my first car. I currently don't know how to drive a stick but I plan on learning. I actually have the desire to own a car with a manual transmission.

I want something that:
-will be fun to drive
-won't be expensive to insure
-is reliable
-foreign (no domestics for me)
-good on gas
-under $15,000
-has more than 2 seats

Some cars I like:
-Honda Civic Si
-Acura Rsx
-Scion Tc (not so much)
-VW GTI

Car suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

deadbolt_35
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Out of the cars you listed, I would definitely go with the GTI. I've always been a big fan.

Another car you should look at is a Saab 9-3 Aero (or Vector, depending on the year). I own a 2003 9-3 and absolutely love it. They're a blast to drive, good looking, more luxurious than the cars on your list and actually cheaper in a lot of cases because they're not in high demand. I picked mine up for only $6000 and it's a great shape. If you have $10-15k to spend on a car then you could probably find a really nice 2005 9-3 Aero. They have 210 hp. You might even find some 2006's in that price range. The '06 Aero's got a new turbocharge V-6 that pumped out 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque

They can be hard to come by, but I'd definitely encourage you to look into it. They're the best value on the used car market IMHO.

akboss
03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
I am 16 looking for my first car. I currently don't know how to drive a stick but I plan on learning. I actually have the desire to own a car with a manual transmission.

I want something that:
-will be fun to drive
-won't be expensive to insure
-is reliable
-foreign (no domestics for me)
-good on gas
-under $15,000
-has more than 2 seats

Some cars I like:
-Honda Civic Si
-Acura Rsx
-Scion Tc (not so much)
-VW GTI

Car suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

None of them! All too high on insurance. You will find that by going to a midsize sedan, with a larger motor (and often better performance), your insurance will be lower and cost of ownership will be equal if not lower - for a bigger, more powerful car. It sounds backwards but because so many people your age buy GTI's, Civics, RSX's, then crash them into trees and pedestrians, the insurance rates for almost all cars in this class are astronomical.

Consider something like a Nissan Altima SE (with 6-speed manual), Honda Accord SE-V6, VW Jetta GLI, Mazda6 V6 (5-speed manual), or Toyota Camry SE V6 (only auto). The GLI will still run you high on insurance, but trust me - compare the rates of these 'family sedans' and you'll find they are significantly lower. For bang-for-the-buck, I'd recommend the Altima or the Mazda6. Do your own comparisons online, there are several sites that offer free online insurance quote comparisons.

Best of luck!
A.

bullet50000
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
if you can ditch the insurance, and you can do some hunting, you can find a fairly clean Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole (82-85) for about that money. It is not the Mondial 8, so it is after the electrical issues, and it is generally reliable. Believe me, i owned 2 of them

Another good choice is the Jaguar XJR. you could pick up a good, clean 98-03 V8 370Hp version for about $7-12K

drunken monkey
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
if you can ditch the insurance, and you can do some hunting, you can find a fairly clean Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole (82-85) for about that money. It is not the Mondial 8, so it is after the electrical issues, and it is generally reliable. Believe me, i owned 2 of them

Another good choice is the Jaguar XJR. you could pick up a good, clean 98-03 V8 370Hp version for about $7-12K

i) ditch insurance? WTF?
ii) your profile says you were born in 1996. Please tell how a 14 year old owns and drives two admittedly cheap Ferrari?

anyway.
a 16 year old isn't likely to get cheap insurance on any of the cars listed in the original post. That doesn't mean you can't buy a good car and have fun with it.
As a starting point, you can't go far wrong with a Ford Focus of any generation (if you ignore the base 1.4 models).
With the Honda Civic, it's a hard call because what you really want is a Type-R and while the EP3 is quite cheap these days 2nd hand, they are still a bitch to insure and being honest about these things, as good as the Si cars are, they aint no Type-R.
That is the same story with the Golfs.
The car you want is the GTi but insurance for a kid is horrid and even if you get a lesser Golf, what you will still want is a GTi and that will gnaw at you.
With that said, if you're not looking at the MK5 cars, then insurance might not be so bad these days. Did the US market ever get the MK4 V5 because that was a cracking engine.

With the Focus, well, they're all good and if you can only afford the smaller engines, the only flaw is the lack of power. In all other aspects, the car is brilliant.
And they're cheap.
Seeing as you didn't get the MK1 RS (which you wouldn't get cheap insurance on anyway) the one to look out for is the SVT.
With your budget, you should actually be able to get a tidy MK2 1.6 Focus and maybe stratch to a 1.8.

One more thing to have a look at, check out the prices for a Mazda RX-8.
They are looking like bargains if not cheap to run.
Insurance isn't that bad either.

Shpuker
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM

...... ? how does that make any sense? Getting an 80's Ferrari as a first car? and the late 90's Jags are unbelievably expensive to maintain, insure, and weren't very reliable. And Did you really just say ditch insurance? :cwm27: you obviously don't drive

And the drunk beat me to the RX8 suggestion. Fun, not bad running costs, and not bad on insurance.

bullet50000
06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
i) ditch insurance? WTF?
ii) your profile says you were born in 1996. Please tell how a 14 year old owns and drives two admittedly cheap Ferrari?

anyway.
a 16 year old isn't likely to get cheap insurance on any of the cars listed in the original post. That doesn't mean you can't buy a good car and have fun with it.
As a starting point, you can't go far wrong with a Ford Focus of any generation (if you ignore the base 1.4 models).
With the Honda Civic, it's a hard call because what you really want is a Type-R and while the EP3 is quite cheap these days 2nd hand, they are still a bitch to insure and being honest about these things, as good as the Si cars are, they aint no Type-R.
That is the same story with the Golfs.
The car you want is the GTi but insurance for a kid is horrid and even if you get a lesser Golf, what you will still want is a GTi and that will gnaw at you.
With that said, if you're not looking at the MK5 cars, then insurance might not be so bad these days. Did the US market ever get the MK4 V5 because that was a cracking engine.

With the Focus, well, they're all good and if you can only afford the smaller engines, the only flaw is the lack of power. In all other aspects, the car is brilliant.
And they're cheap.
Seeing as you didn't get the MK1 RS (which you wouldn't get cheap insurance on anyway) the one to look out for is the SVT.
With your budget, you should actually be able to get a tidy MK2 1.6 Focus and maybe stratch to a 1.8.

One more thing to have a look at, check out the prices for a Mazda RX-8.
They are looking like bargains if not cheap to run.
Insurance isn't that bad either.
About ditching insurance, i meant to say ditch the cheap insurance request. And for the Ferraris, i owned 1, than another, then i got the XJR i have now. for the reason i dont have the ferraris anymore, 2 words, tree in the way, and that is why i am putting twice the amount i am putting into gas into insurance. By the way, an RX8 is not cheap for insurance or to run. its group 20 for insurance, its in the 440 pound tax band, and you put as much oil in it as you do petrol

bullet50000
06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
...... ? how does that make any sense? Getting an 80's Ferrari as a first car? and the late 90's Jags are unbelievably expensive to maintain, insure, and weren't very reliable. And Did you really just say ditch insurance? :cwm27: you obviously don't drive

And the drunk beat me to the RX8 suggestion. Fun, not bad running costs, and not bad on insurance.
if late 90s jags were unreliable, why were they voted #1 in the top gear survey in 2002?

Shpuker
06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
if late 90s jags were unreliable, why were they voted #1 in the top gear survey in 2002?

Maybe because its a British show/Magazine (don't get me wrong I love Top Gear).

EDIT: And I think its worth pointing out, they get a different car there than we do here

drunken monkey
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
RX-8 are not (UK) Group 20 for insurance.
The tax is also dependent on the year of registration so yes for 435 but also yes for 235 pa.
Bear in mind that road tax in the UK for the XJR you're talking about is 205.

i) So once again, how does a 14 year old drive?

ii) the XJR you're talking about gets pretty much the same real world mpg as the RX-8 so er, what's the point you're trying to make?
Yes, the RX-8 needs a top up of oil every year when serviced but not as bad as a 1980s Ferrari. If you indeed did used to own and run Modials then you'd know that it is recommended that you have a complete oil change every year. That's 10 (and a bit) litres of possibly the most expensive oil on the shelf at 10+ a litre.
An RX-8 doesn't drink 10 litres of oil in a year.

iii) why is a guy in america giving me UK numbers for the car? surely you know what you're paying for your cars.

iv) seeing as I'm getting quotes of 1100-1400 to insure an XJR for me, I'd love to know what you, a 14 year old, is paying.

bullet50000
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
RX-8 are not (UK) Group 20 for insurance.
The tax is also dependent on the year of registration so yes for 435 but also yes for 235 pa.
Bear in mind that road tax in the UK for the XJR you're talking about is 205.

i) So once again, how does a 14 year old drive?

ii) the XJR you're talking about gets pretty much the same real world mpg as the RX-8 so er, what's the point you're trying to make?
Yes, the RX-8 needs a top up of oil every year when serviced but not as bad as a 1980s Ferrari. If you indeed did used to own and run Modials then you'd know that it is recommended that you have a complete oil change every year. That's 10 (and a bit) litres of possibly the most expensive oil on the shelf at 10+ a litre.
An RX-8 doesn't drink 10 litres of oil in a year.

iii) why is a guy in america giving me UK numbers for the car? surely you know what you're paying for your cars.

iv) seeing as I'm getting quotes of 1100-1400 to insure an XJR for me, I'd love to know what you, a 14 year old, is paying.

i) i have my learners permit

ii) I never said the Ferrari was cheaper to maintain than the RX8 (although the Jag is), i just said the RX8 was expensive to maintain, which it is

iii) i know i might sound ignorent, but it was so you could understand it better, sorry about that

iv) like i said, i am paying crazy amounts for insurance, around $4500 per year.

Shpuker
06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
i) i have my learners permit

ii) I never said the Ferrari was cheaper to maintain than the RX8 (although the Jag is), i just said the RX8 was expensive to maintain, which it is

iii) i know i might sound ignorent, but it was so you could understand it better, sorry about that

iv) like i said, i am paying crazy amounts for insurance, around $4500 per year.

So you know nothing

Stop lashing out at a mod and give numbers of the right country at least

You, aren't paying shit for insurance. your 14..... hell how does a 14 year old have a learners permit?

drunken monkey
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Apparently you can get a learner's permit in Kansas when you hit 14.
That still means you need a person over 21 next to you in order for you to drive though.

My initial thought was that if you can afford $4500 a year just on insurance why aren't you driving something infinitely better like an Exige S?
This is where we do the usual bit of asking for a photo of your car with a nice hand written sign next to it with "this is my car you dirty piece of smeg" to prove you aren't talking out of your arse but y'know what, I can't be bothered.

bullet50000
06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Apparently you can get a learner's permit in Kansas when you hit 14.
That still means you need a person over 21 next to you in order for you to drive though.

My initial thought was that if you can afford $4500 a year just on insurance why aren't you driving something infinitely better like an Exige S?
This is where we do the usual bit of asking for a photo of your car with a nice hand written sign next to it with "this is my car you dirty piece of smeg" to prove you aren't talking out of your arse but y'know what, I can't be bothered.

i will give you a reason for not getting an Exige, i payed $5000 for the Jag, the cheapest Exige i can find was $30,000, and it would have cost even more for insurance.

Shpuker
06-25-2010, 04:05 AM
i will give you a reason for not getting an Exige, i payed $5000 for the Jag, the cheapest Exige i can find was $30,000, and it would have cost even more for insurance.

Correction. (if you even have it) your parents payed $5,000 for the Jag, and the insurance.

Ohh, just throwin this out there. The RX-8 would be WAY cheaper to maintain than ANY Jag

bullet50000
06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Correction. (if you even have it) your parents payed $5,000 for the Jag, and the insurance.

Ohh, just throwin this out there. The RX-8 would be WAY cheaper to maintain than ANY Jag
no need for the correction. I am not a spoiled brat who has his parents buy his car

arock7musicx
08-19-2010, 02:03 PM
An rx8 might be a good choice if the insurance isn't too bad for you. Unfortunately it probably will be more expensive than any of the cars you originally listed. Plus they get terrible gas mileage.

If low insurance costs are a main priority, then some of the responses farther up had it right when they told you to go with something a little more low-key. Either that, or start with something less expensive that will be easy on insurance, and then use the left over money to make it faster.

Also, if you or someone close to you has some mechanical aptitude, I would consider getting an older civic or integra. Find one dirt cheap, swap in a b18 (they are cheap nowadays since everyone wants a k20), some bolt ons/power adder, wheels and tires etc... you could have a nice, reliable, personalized, and quick car for under 15 grand EASY. Not to mention they are much easier to work on and maintain than if you picked up a VW.

I know you said no domestics, but this is at least still a sport compact - consider picking up a dodge neon. The 2.4 from the dodge stratus practically just bolts right in, get a used turbo/manifold/etc from an srt-4, some engine management, and that will still leave room in your budget for plenty of other modifications.

Consider a mazda 3. They can be had fairly cheap. Get one for under 10 grand and youll have enough left to get a turbo kit from tri point engineering or something and have a homemade mazdaspeed 3!

240sx? Miata? There are lots of options...

AutoService101
08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Take a look at the KIA SOUL. Great little car and would work good with your price range and you can buy it new instead of buying someone elses use junk. KIA has a great warranty - 5yr or 60K limited bumper to bumper and 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain. People think kia's quality is not so good but I will tell you a little secret (I am sure I will get flamed) but a car is a car. All manufacturers today are on same level playing ground. To much technology means trouble for all! Either way check one out and see what you think....

arock7musicx
08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
People think kia's quality is not so good but I will tell you a little secret (I am sure I will get flamed) but a car is a car.

Umm.... no :headshake

AutoService101
08-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Umm.... no :headshake

LOL, Hate to say it but the Soul has been a good vehicle so far for KIA, it has had less issue's then most cars I have worked with in the past (especially first year vehicle's), guess 20 years working in the business has opened my eye's to things the consumer is unaware of. :naughty:

arock7musicx
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not aruging for or against the Soul. I have actually heard good things about that particular vehicle, as well as the Forte. And while Kia and Hyundai both have stepped up their game in recent years, I don't think it's very good to tell a new driver that "a car is a car." Especially when 99% of the cars on the road are not brand new vehicles. I can tell you from experience that my first car (1994 Saturn SC2) is not of the same caliber as my later cars (for example my rx7, mustang, or even my old bonneville).

To the OP: All that being said, if you're not the type who wants to wrench on his own car, or if you just want the security of owning a practically new car, a Kia Forte might not be a bad sporty option for you. It would be unique and you would be on the first wave of tuners to modify one.

AutoService101
08-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not aruging for or against the Soul. I have actually heard good things about that particular vehicle, as well as the Forte. And while Kia and Hyundai both have stepped up their game in recent years, I don't think it's very good to tell a new driver that "a car is a car." Especially when 99% of the cars on the road are not brand new vehicles. I can tell you from experience that my first car (1994 Saturn SC2) is not of the same caliber as my later cars (for example my rx7, mustang, or even my old bonneville).

To the OP: All that being said, if you're not the type who wants to wrench on his own car, or if you just want the security of owning a practically new car, a Kia Forte might not be a bad sporty option for you. It would be unique and you would be on the first wave of tuners to modify one.

Point well taken and I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry. I agree fully that when comparing new to used there is a big differance. I really was trying to suggest looking at new cars over used cars because of the issues a person can have with someone elses used junk (not that all used cars are junk but a lot of people out there do not take good care of there vehicles at all so buying used is like rolling the dice). I was thinking because of his price range a Kia Soul may be a good option in his situation and price range. :smooch:

arock7musicx
08-20-2010, 09:37 AM
not that all used cars are junk but a lot of people out there do not take good care of there vehicles at all so buying used is like rolling the dice

Oh boy is that a lesson I've learned before! :runaround: It was a good learning experience though, and I know a lot of what I do because of those cars. Then again, when I was a new driver I just had the $1500 I'd saved up the previous summer to buy a car with. If I could have started out working on a nice new car, I probably would have. I wouldn't take it back now though.

Shpuker
08-22-2010, 10:23 AM
no need for the correction. I am not a spoiled brat who has his parents buy his car

So your 16 and you can afford to spend 5k on a Jag, damned near 5k per year on insurance, and another couple grand a year to fix the POS? Bullshit.

Add your comment to this topic!