Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission mount question

GTP Version 2.0
03-20-2010, 10:58 PM
What are the common symptoms of a failing transmission mount?

BNaylor
03-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Normally weird noises and/or vibration at idle either with the A/C on or off felt in the cabin. In most cases the engine/tranny doesn't really move since the two front dog bone engine mounts hold it in place.

GTP Version 2.0
03-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm trying to isolate the knocking noise coming from the engine bay. I'm not sure what it is but I'm trying to narrow it down to save money. I'm afraid its a bad rocker (ZZP strikes again). Some conflicting statements on the website state that 1.84 is the highest ratio permitted on stock valve/springs/retainers yet they say their 1.9 modified high ratio rockers are ok for stock valve/springs/retainers. Is the word "ok" translatable to "you're risking your engine life" or "good for 20k miles"?

tblake
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
1.9 modified rockers should work fine. I think 1.84 is the highest ratio you can go with rollers. But I could be wrong (stranger things have happened).

Is the knock a deeper sound or is it more of a valve train noise? Is it on the drivers side or passenger side?

Could you get a video or sound clip of it?

GTP Version 2.0
03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I will try to post a clip of the engine sound later. I only notice it now and again but we all know that problems always start small. Anyways does anyone have a write up on how to replace the transmission mount? I just received a new mount today from the W-body store.

tblake
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
It is on the driver side. removing the tire would make it easier but not necessicary. If you move the splash shield you will see it. I think you need to use block of wood and slowly lift on the motor as you loosen the trans mount nuts. I am just going from memory and could be wrong.

GTP Version 2.0
03-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah I figured it out. I should have used a thicker piece of wood though between the jack and and the tranny. I slightly dented the tranny pan but nothing major. Now when I accelerate the engine doesn't rock as much and when I shift into reverse I barley notice any engine rock. Best of all the stronger mount gave me no vibration.

tblake
03-27-2010, 08:13 PM
SOunds good, but is your noise gone?

GTP Version 2.0
03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
The noise was intermittent to begin with, so I will keep an eye on it for the next week and get back with you guys.

Truth be told I am considering getting a new car and giving this one to my little sister. I had considered getting a 2003 GTP but I cant find one in my area. All other cars seem so disappointing...well the NA ones anyways. After a SC I don't know if I could ever go back to NA. I thought about a WRX or a GTI but I don't know. As long as it smokes a mustang I'm happy (I hate that car). I guess I'm just getting to the point of understanding that cars can be an all-consuming venture that can leave you broke. And no matter the care you take, its only a matter of time before the car dies on you. So I am looking for a car with speed, dependability, high availability of parts, and ease of maintenance. The G8 was a hopeful candidate before Pontiac went under...what are your guy's thoughts?

tblake
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
...So I am looking for a car with speed, dependability, high availability of parts, and ease of maintenance....

Sounds Like your GTP! Parts are available and in stock at your nearest parts store, large aftermarket even though pontiac took the axe, and it doesn't get much easier than a 3800 in a W body.

...The G8 was a hopeful candidate before Pontiac went under...what are your guy's thoughts?...

Not sure. If the same motor is in other GM cars, parts for the G8 may not be too difficult to find, but if the engine and trans in them are specific to the G8, it may be expenxive and hard to get parts.

Add your comment to this topic!