Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 Sunbird Died!!!

grhand96
03-19-2010, 10:08 PM
1992 4 door Sunbird. 2.0 fuel injected OHC automatic 98,180 miles

My daughter climbed in to her sunbird tonight, started it up, drove about 150 feet and the car shut down. This is what we have checked...
1. Fuel in the tank...check
2. Spark...check
3. While under the hood, we noticed the accessories belt was shredded... upon further investigation...we found a hole in the timing chain cover!! Loosened the cover enough to check that the belt was not broke...we found a piece of the accessories belt floating around...under the cover...
4. We could not locate the relief/pressure valve on the fuel rail to see if we were getting fuel...
5. When we turn the key on..you can here the fuel pump hum/click/engage???
6. Sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body...the car will not attempt to fire...

Is there a possibility that the piece of belt found inside the timing chain cover has caused it to "jump time"??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Davez69gto
03-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I would say pull the timing cover off. You'll prob crack it a little when you do so. Sux I know but you can get it off w/o too much hassle. Just remember to remove the windshield washer reservoir first b/c the will quickly get in your way. Also you will notice once you have the cover off that it's easy to get that car timed. There are notches that line up to tell you so. Also did you check for spark in all cylinders? How about the fuel filter? I haven't ever had to deal w/ a filter goin bad and just stopping things but if no fuel is getting through you're not going to get ignition. other than that i can't think of anything at the moment. Hope it helped at least a little

Add your comment to this topic!