Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gloss spots in flat paints...

DSM-Mark
04-15-2003, 01:55 PM
When applied by brush, especially over large areas.

The paint is Tamiya's XF-8 Flat Blue, about 6 mL mixed with 2 mL of 70% rubbing alcohol. I've also noticed this with unthinned flat black.

Is the answer better mixing, more thinning, etc?

freakray
04-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Sounds like better mixing is needed to me, but I also have found that rubbing alcohol is not the best thing to thin Tamiya acryllics with.

DSM-Mark
04-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by freakray
Sounds like better mixing is needed to me, but I also have found that rubbing alcohol is not the best thing to thin Tamiya acryllics with.

What would you use? I find $3 for 10 mL of thinner is ridiculous (ie Tamiya's thinner).

daggerlee
04-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Tamiya sells a big 250 mL jug of thinner for $7-10 depending on the store. Lasts a lifetime

As for your problem, try thinner coats. Shouldn't happen if you airbrush it..

DSM-Mark
04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Tamiya sells a big 250 mL jug of thinner for $7-10 depending on the store. Lasts a lifetime

As for your problem, try thinner coats. Shouldn't happen if you airbrush it..

No airbrush, and I've never seen that big jug of thinner. I was in a bit of a shotgun mood when I painted it, I suppose. Used a bigass brush... about 5 mm across. I reallize that's probably a big part of the problem... too much paint. Just thought maybe other people have this problem and have a solution (as mentioned, I've had this with Flat Black as well, using a smaller diameter brush).

Jay!
04-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Tamiya sells a big 250 mL jug of thinner for $7-10 depending on the store. Lasts a lifetimeNot quite a lifetime. Mine's about spent after 3 years, and I just bought its replacement for $5. :devil:

Add your comment to this topic!