Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

polish and semi-gloss, matte lacquers..

nornicle
04-15-2003, 12:50 AM
I was just thinking about the painting treatise thread..

Each gloss level is affected by how smooth the paint dries.

Consider I want to make the body of a car semi-gloss, but i spray it on and the usual slight orange peel occurs (un-noticeable to a non-AFer;P)

If I sand/cut/wax it will it turn into GLOSS black? Does this also apply with sand/cut/waxing dull cote (or similar protective coats?)

I want to do as much planning as I can before I get all my stuff together for my GT1 with SMS decal/photoetch kit...

practice making some doors swing too ;)

Also painting on Micro Matte or Gloss with a brush will leave brush marks won't it? so I may have to buy an airbrush. which won't happen unless I can buy the best (a dual action iwata or a dual action pasche?)

hopefully something thats bottom feed, dual action, internal mix.

daggerlee
04-15-2003, 06:26 AM
Theroetically, yes, if you polish and smooth out a semi gloss or flat paint, it will become gloss.

What I"m thinking about is, I've heard that paint manufacturers put in 'reflecting agents' into their gloss paints, which flat and semigloss most probably won't have - so even polished to a full gloss, flat and semigloss paints may not shine as well as a paint designed to be glossy. Clearcoat would be best in this case.

Micro Matte/gloss is just a brush on clearcoat right? You might want to consider Future Floor Finish, it's a brush on acrylic clearcoat that self levels, so it's friendly to brushpainting.

nornicle
04-15-2003, 06:47 AM
true.. but future floor polish sounds like a HELL of alot of work! and cracking and this and that!! hahaha.. I might just use wax..

even if a GT1 porsche #001 is meant to be matt all over ;(

themodelkid
04-15-2003, 07:07 AM
I work with automotive paint every day and daggerlee is right. We use the Dupont paint system at work and its pretty close to what daggerlee said before. The carrier is what makes it flat/semi gloss/ gloss, not the way its sprayed on. With a base coat/clear coat system on vehicles, binder and balancer are added to the paint as the carrier , and when ready to paint reducer is added to the mix other wise it wouldnt spray, or dry worth a crap. The basecoat, (paint) dry's on flat, and then clear is sprayed on to make it shiny, and for protection. If you were to ues single stage paint ,the carrier thats added makes it glossy/semi gloss/flat etc. and no clear is sprayed on or is needed. Pretty much what was said befor but oh well.:D PM me if you use any automotive paint and have any questions. I'm sure i can help!

daggerlee
04-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Cool, nice to know I'm at least getting some of it right! A lot of what I learned came from attending a lecture by two nice guys from Dupont here in Philadelphia, I learned a lot that day!

Let me ask you, what do you mean by reducer? Is it like thinner, in making the paint thin? I've also heard of drying agents that either speed it up or slow it down - like retarder or Japan dryer, do you use those in your work either?

themodelkid
04-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Cool, nice to know I'm at least getting some of it right! A lot of what I learned came from attending a lecture by two nice guys from Dupont here in Philadelphia, I learned a lot that day!

Let me ask you, what do you mean by reducer? Is it like thinner, in making the paint thin? I've also heard of drying agents that either speed it up or slow it down - like retarder or Japan dryer, do you use those in your work either?

Reducer does thin it out alot so that it is sprayable, and the drying agents your talking about is the reducer. With like primer, there are diffrent reducers that change how fast it drys, depending on the air temp and humidity. Hope that helps, if u have any more ??? please ask, i would be glad to help clear up all the paint questions out there!

nornicle
04-15-2003, 09:56 PM
thanks!

I had a feeling that semigloss/gloss/matte
had nothing to do with the smoothness of the paint!
however smoothness does efffect final shine

perhaps the treatise on paint should be modified slightly?

Add your comment to this topic!