More pics of the AMT F+F Supra

flyonthewall
04-14-2003, 05:06 PM
These pics were posted on the Modelcarbuilder Yahoo group earlier.

It really does suck! The only part of the bodykit that looks ok are the rear quarter spats. The front as we have already discussed is too squre and doesn't protrude far enough forward. The wing is awful and the side skirts differ very little to the stock sides.

If ever i needed motivation to get back into mine then this is it!!!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/513686IM002111.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/218561IM002116.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/678809IM002119.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/713617IM002120.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/976527IM002121.jpg

primera man
04-14-2003, 05:16 PM
:p Dont look anything like the real thing.:p

supratuner
04-14-2003, 05:16 PM
its not the worst, not the best, but better than nothing

MX100
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
ewwww...they made the ugly lookin SUpra look even worst....:( :apuke:

bah humbug
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Come on CHris! Do yours in protest of AMT. I'm just saying that because this is the body kit I'm really waiting from you.

Purpura Delujo
04-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Well it's better then nothing but it is shit. It's a new AMT release, AMT usually do a good job when they re-release stuff like their 67 Mustang.. I'd buy it for parts at least, them N2O bottles with that monster tach would go well in another one of my Superbi....opps.

endlesskev86
04-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MX100
ewwww...they made the ugly lookin SUpra look even worst....:( :apuke:

YOU SAID it brother!! hahahaha

isn't the wing a tad too big!?:rolleyes:

....but well..it is fast adn teh furious

Vric
04-14-2003, 06:28 PM
it doesn't even look like a supra :(

bah humbug
04-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Don't worry that is why we have Chris! ;)
Man, we could do better than that! :o
Imagine if Tamiya made the F+F kit.

Veyron
04-14-2003, 07:20 PM
The funny part is, you can tell they tried to out do Revell's Civic's and ITR, at least Revell made decent looking bodies which is most important in my book. :rolleyes:

daggerlee
04-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Hey, at least we have a 1/25 2JZ!!!!!

*cricket*

What, nobody wants one? :D

hirofkd
04-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Man, AMT indeed screwed up the Supra, didn't they?
Well, at least those who are attempting to convert the Tamiya kit are relieved, me included. :)

Veyron
04-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Here's some more pics and some of the same.
http://www.modelcarkits.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/board.cgi?read=271905

themodelkid
04-14-2003, 08:38 PM
:( :( :mad: :mad: :confused: :bloated: :bloated: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angryfire

:greenchai = AMT

wkma7six
04-14-2003, 08:38 PM
AMT shouldn't have bothered. :confused:

supratuner
04-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Hey, at least we have a 1/25 2JZ!!!!!

*cricket*

What, nobody wants one? :D

LMAO

i want one

ozstrider
04-14-2003, 09:04 PM
I would buy it for the boost gauge and the NOS bottles. I suppose the engine detail is ok. I might get it so i can give it a different paint desing and do afew experiments.
Chris, are there any pics of the Eclipse floating around?

Forhod
04-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by wkma7six
AMT shouldn't have bothered. :confused:

I agree...

flyonthewall
04-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Veyron
Here's some more pics and some of the same.
http://www.modelcarkits.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/board.cgi?read=271905

It gets worse!!! The vents in the hood are sealed:confused:

Who is this guy who said this is 'kit of the year potential'? That's the most outrageous statement i've ever heard!!!

Jonno
04-15-2003, 04:37 AM
Are the wheels accurate at least? That is a disapointment because many people have been waiting for that kit.

Veyron
04-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by flyonthewall

It gets worse!!! The vents in the hood are sealed:confused:

Who is this guy who said this is 'kit of the year potential'? That's the most outrageous statement i've ever heard!!!

Who ever said that needs to have there face pressed into dough so we can make jackass cookies! If any kit ever deserved kit of the year, it's the Enzo. :rolleyes:

exhaust smoke
04-15-2003, 05:32 AM
That's a pretty half arsed job. Pretty much what is expected from AMT unfortunately!

Go Fly Go! We want that SAS Supra kit now!

exhaust smoke
04-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Isn't this kit one of those metal bodied kits?

I hate them! I was really looking forward to the TFATF Civic Coupe's until I found out they were metal!!

tonioseven
04-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by exhaust smoke
Isn't this kit one of those metal bodied kits?

I hate them! I was really looking forward to the TFATF Civic Coupe's until I found out they were metal!! Plastic; It's good for engine parts at least! 2jz in a 1/25 510 anyone?!:)

Snooker
04-24-2003, 08:46 AM
In German I would say "Wie gewollt und nicht gekonnt", which means that AMT tried to make a TFTF Supra, but they were too stupid to do.

Itīs good for kitbashing, nothing else.

hector9976
04-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey flyonthewall

wats that paint that you used for the toyota supra cuz i wanna
paint it like urs:flash:

D[X]P
04-24-2003, 10:29 AM
yea its bad

is the eclipse better?

bah humbug
04-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it really gets you down. Even revell did a better job on their eclipse kit. But of course, correct me if I'm wrong, they had to miss something such as hood scoop.

And we AAALLLL know that if Tamiya made the kit it would be so awesome!

I wish someone important who worked for Tamiya visited Af so that they could here our cries. ;)

The really sad thing is someone from Af, FOTW, can do better than a big modelling company such as AMT. :(

flyonthewall
04-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by hector9976
Hey flyonthewall

wats that paint that you used for the toyota supra cuz i wanna
paint it like urs:flash:

Its not mine!

D[X]P
04-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Off topic

neone know if the faf civic model(metal body)
is a good kit and buy?

how is the interior and details?

hector9976
04-24-2003, 01:15 PM
gfd

freakray
04-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hector9976
gfd

:confused:

OPM
04-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by flyonthewall

Its not mine!

luckily - otherwise you should think about closing sas;)

Camber
04-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Id really say the owner of revell doesn't really cares how accurate it is, Hes probly in his mansion right now swimming in an olympic size pool of money. Thats why people who make their own body kits get the job done so much better ;)

B16EF
04-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Camber
Id really say the owner of revell doesn't really cares how accurate it is, Hes probly in his mansion right now swimming in an olympic size pool of money. Thats why people who make their own body kits get the job done so much better ;)

You mean AMT??

Camber
04-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by B16EF

You mean AMT??

Yea, my bad ;)

Layla's Keeper
04-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Actually, AMT is in SEVERE financial trouble.

You see, here's the deal. The folks at Dyerville, back when it was still AMT/Ertl (as opposed to RC/AMT), spent a HUGE amount of money on state of the art tooling for such wonderful kits as their 1962 Pontiac 421SD, 1968 Chevrolet El Camino SS396, and 1957 Chrysler 300C. These kits had it all. Frames separate from the underbody, heater-fuel-power steering lines. Thin brackets for underhood accesories. And were mostly of cars that hadn't been kitted before or whose kits were horribly inaccurate and out of date.

Unfortunately, they didn't sell well, either.

Facing a huge backlog of unsold stock (not many people, as it turns out, want a 1971 Dodge Charger R/T) and the fact that their tool cutting team had bailed at the end of 2001, AMT had but one choice: sell the company. The willing buyer was Racing Champions. The diecast company. Ultimately, all RC wanted was the Ertl "American Muscle" lineup of 1:18th scale diecasts (a competitor to their own diecast). Thus, at the moment, RC is trying to dump AMT and turn a quick buck by clearing out kit warehouses and cashing in on fads.

It is predicted that these F&F kits, along with last year's pleasing Ala Kart and 1958 Plymouth Belvedere kits, will be the last all-new kits from this once proud giant amongst model companies. It's a sad day, honestly. But there is one good spot of news.

Most of that brilliant team of tool cutters from AMT that started with the 1:16th scale Cord 812 and 1:25th scale 1966 Chevrolet Nova kits and ended with the 1962 Ford Thunderbird is now cutting tools at Revell.

B16EF
04-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the history lesson:D
Seriously...

Layla's Keeper
04-24-2003, 11:15 PM
No problem. Always happy to oblige. ^_^

Here's an interesting factoid, too. The first AMT kits with engines and opening hoods were a 1960 Ford Pickup and Chevy Pickup in 1960.

endlesskev86
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
LOL!!!

man i hate anything to do with F&F anyways............ and too see the the shit quality of it right now brings a smile to me!:)

hirofkd
04-25-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by bah humbug
Yeah, it really gets you down. Even revell did a better job on their eclipse kit. But of course, correct me if I'm wrong, they had to miss something such as hood scoop.

And we AAALLLL know that if Tamiya made the kit it would be so awesome!

I wish someone important who worked for Tamiya visited Af so that they could here our cries. ;)

I never worked for Tamiya, but I did tell them about our cries.
It's just that we can't make 30,000-50,000 people buy a particular car model, these days.

The really sad thing is someone from Af, FOTW, can do better than a big modelling company such as AMT. :(
Not really a bad thing. Otherwise, the scratch and mod guys won't be needed.:)

Mean_B16
04-26-2003, 12:08 PM
All I can :bloated: say is :apuke: that is not pretty.:bonghitte

daggerlee
04-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Octagon
Actually, AMT is in SEVERE financial trouble.

You see, here's the deal. The folks at Dyerville, back when it was still AMT/Ertl (as opposed to RC/AMT), spent a HUGE amount of money on state of the art tooling for such wonderful kits as their 1962 Pontiac 421SD, 1968 Chevrolet El Camino SS396, and 1957 Chrysler 300C. These kits had it all. Frames separate from the underbody, heater-fuel-power steering lines. Thin brackets for underhood accesories. And were mostly of cars that hadn't been kitted before or whose kits were horribly inaccurate and out of date.

Unfortunately, they didn't sell well, either.

Facing a huge backlog of unsold stock (not many people, as it turns out, want a 1971 Dodge Charger R/T) and the fact that their tool cutting team had bailed at the end of 2001, AMT had but one choice: sell the company. The willing buyer was Racing Champions. The diecast company. Ultimately, all RC wanted was the Ertl "American Muscle" lineup of 1:18th scale diecasts (a competitor to their own diecast). Thus, at the moment, RC is trying to dump AMT and turn a quick buck by clearing out kit warehouses and cashing in on fads.

It is predicted that these F&F kits, along with last year's pleasing Ala Kart and 1958 Plymouth Belvedere kits, will be the last all-new kits from this once proud giant amongst model companies. It's a sad day, honestly. But there is one good spot of news.

Most of that brilliant team of tool cutters from AMT that started with the 1:16th scale Cord 812 and 1:25th scale 1966 Chevrolet Nova kits and ended with the 1962 Ford Thunderbird is now cutting tools at Revell.

Sounds a lot like what happened to Fujimi and their Enthusiast models in the late 80s. I guess this is what happens when you let passion get in the way of financial sense. :o

Layla's Keeper
04-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Yep, same scenario. The really bad thing is that these kits were of subjects "modelers" had been asking for.

AMT/Ertl put more stock into what Scale Auto Enthusiast's annual "Most Requested All New Kit" poll had to say than any other company. Problem is, SAE's core readership is balding, middle-aged guys who're buying back their youth. These are guys who lived with big block Chevys and Six-Pak Mopars. They actually experienced the muscle car and chrome eras. But, as evidenced by the "how to build an import" article in SAE's October 2001 issue, these guys are WAY out of touch with the current trends in modeling. AMT missed the wave when they could've scored big. Then, when new management came in, they decided that the poser route was the best way to a quick buck.

Simply put, because a bunch of baby boomers (not to put that generation down personally) couldn't build a 1960 Ford Starliner, we've lost our chance to see what one of the biggest and most prolific model companies in the world could've done for us.

Veyron
04-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Octagon
Yep, same scenario. The really bad thing is that these kits were of subjects "modelers" had been asking for.

AMT/Ertl put more stock into what Scale Auto Enthusiast's annual "Most Requested All New Kit" poll had to say than any other company. Problem is, SAE's core readership is balding, middle-aged guys who're buying back their youth. These are guys who lived with big block Chevys and Six-Pak Mopars. They actually experienced the muscle car and chrome eras. But, as evidenced by the "how to build an import" article in SAE's October 2001 issue, these guys are WAY out of touch with the current trends in modeling. AMT missed the wave when they could've scored big. Then, when new management came in, they decided that the poser route was the best way to a quick buck.

Simply put, because a bunch of baby boomers (not to put that generation down personally) couldn't build a 1960 Ford Starliner, we've lost our chance to see what one of the biggest and most prolific model companies in the world could've done for us.

I agree with you strongly on everything except for AMT being prolific, AMT just isn't what it used to be. The F & F models are an attempt to strike back at the success Revell has had with the Integra and Civic's, a wake up call if you will. Funny what you said about SAE's readership is so true! Most of them hang out on another model forum and at the same time AFer's were viewing the Supra pics with disappointment, the other forum was praising it and saying how good it looked, in other words what should be AMT's target market(youth) feel ripped off by their poor execution of a model of the most popular cars ever to be modeled. Marketing people are suppose to be in touch with the targeted consumer to find out what they want within reasonable parameters and execute the product with total staisfaction in mind. Everybody familiar with SAE knows that it's readership is a narrow, and narrow minded, segment of the model market so why the hell do these marketing people miss the mark over and over? Do we want chassis that screw to the body(Revell), wheels that are too small(Fujimi), and misshaped bodies(AMT Supra), Japanese cars in 1/25 scale(both)? Well if we don't how come this is what we the buyer get? How do we reach these so called marketing research departments to get them to hear the right people who know the subjects they are producing?
I would buy AMT's Supra eventhough it's 1/25 if it looked right, I can fix small wheels and fill screw holes if I need to and be stasfied with a decent body, but I'm not going to buy a model that is obviously going to take hours of body shaping to fix their screw up. Maybe I'm premature judging these early pics but I'm not confident the final production will be improved because the market segment they are listening to is already raving about it, so AMT doesn't have any incentive to. I guess some people just like crap, so that's what they'll get and WE have to live with it. Okay, I'm done. :rolleyes:

PS. One of AMT's master artist went to Trumpeter and they are soon releasing a '60 Pontiac Bonneville, '63 Chevrolet Nova and an '83 Chevrolet Monte Carlo in 1/24 with full detail! This dinosaur has sold them the same poor marketing ploy that plagues the other model companies. :rolleyes:

Layla's Keeper
04-26-2003, 08:37 PM
I stand by the statement that AMT was and to a point is a prolific company. They have almost always (until very recently) released more kits than any other domestic auto company, regardless of quality.

Speaking against Fujimi is somewhat unfair, even though I agree somewhat. They answer to an entirely different primary market, which is probably why we won't be seeing an Eclipse from them withing the next few eons. In a sense, they're a lot like the Japanese equivalent of AMT. They blew their budget on a dream, and then muddled about with reissues and mediocre tooling for a while, but offered plenty of options so that modelers would buy their kits for parts.

Revell, on the other hand, I won't speak poorly of. They're seriously trying and I've never regretted purchasing a Revell kit. Sure, there've been times where I wanted to throw the damn thing into a wall because of fiddly fit (Orange Crate, anyone?) but the results for the price and the subject matter have let the company stay near and dear to me. Revell has done sports cars, has done imports, and has done hyper-accurate detail, it's just that now they're just getting back into the game. Trust me, it's a trick to go from rehashing Chrysler torsion bar front suspensions to feeling out the intricacies of Honda's unequal length control arm front wheel drive setup. Give them time, and they'll be releasing kits that won't just supplement imported kits in our hands, but replace. Why do I say they can do this?

Because they want to.

Add your comment to this topic!