Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lights died while driving on highway, etc.

Dekeman
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Last night while my wife was driving our '03 Windstar on the interstate (in the dark), the battery dash indicator came on. They had a couple hours to drive to get home and it seemed to be running fine, so they started for home. Later, the ABS light, brake light and air bag lights on the dash came on and stayed on. The headlights and interior lights dimmed and came back up repeatedly. The radio was in and out of function and its panel lights were up and down like the interior lights before finally shutting off. She went up an incline to cross a bridge and the van was hesitating--not in danger of stalling, but running oddly. Then the headlights went out and stayed off. Other than the hesitation going over the bridge the van was running normally. Once she got safely off the interstate and parked, she turned it off and of course it wouldn't start- the starter clicks and nothing happens. I'm not sure if it could be the alternator (replaced with an unknown reman less than two years ago), or a deeper electrical problem (like the ECU?). It's obviously not just the battery.

The other question is, is it safe to drive it with a recharged or new battery if the alternator is indeed dead? I don't know what kind of damage can be done to the electrical components without a functional alternator.

Dekeman
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Looking more like the alternator- link below is someone helping my wife through the last episode when I was deployed. Symptoms are very similar.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=734702&highlight=orkel

Dekeman
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Took the van to my local trusted shop, and it was indeed the alternator. A NAPA lifetime warranty unit and full electrical check and we're back in business. So the question remains- can you drive a vehicle with a dead alternator? Still don't know the answer to that.

northern piper
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
only as long as the battery has enough umph to keep things going. Older cars with less electronics would do better but current cars need a pretty constant amount of juice and I doubt you'd get very far. The amps req'd to start a car would easily chew thru a battery pretty quick.

Dekeman
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
only as long as the battery has enough umph to keep things going. Older cars with less electronics would do better but current cars need a pretty constant amount of juice and I doubt you'd get very far. The amps req'd to start a car would easily chew thru a battery pretty quick.

Thanks for the reply, Piper. I learned something from the shop- the ECU/computer fritzes out if it doesn't get enough voltage. That explains the hesitation on incline, as well as the fact that I had to jump it before I got to my destination. It started well enough after sitting overnight, but the 15-mile trip was too much. I was able to get it started after a jump and got it the remaining 2 miles I needed it to go. They say the battery checks out- that it holds a charge. It starts the vehicle fine for now. I know that when the dead alternator happened last time while I was deployed, my wife ended up replacing the battery a couple of weeks later because it would no longer hold a charge. I'm thinking that it's not going to make it after being completely drained twice, and that I should preventatively replace it. Thoughts, anyone?

Mama's T-Bird
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Late last summer battery (5 yrs old) died on our 96 Windstar and I replaced it. 10 days later we made a 100 mile trip to her sister's and it died again. Slow-charged the battery all night--next morning when we left I told wife to choose how open she wanted her window and then not to touch it. Also told her to button up cause we wouldn't be running the heater or air-cond. Didn't turn on any lights, it sprinkled but didn't turn on the wipers, nor did we run the radio. Used turn-signals only when necessary. Made it home O.K. Took the alternator to Advanced-Auto the next day to have it checked before replacing, and the guy said it was so burned out it wouldn't even register anything on the machine. Replaced alternator and all has been well since then.

Dekeman
03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Late last summer battery (5 yrs old) died on our 96 Windstar and I replaced it. 10 days later we made a 100 mile trip to her sister's and it died again. Slow-charged the battery all night--next morning when we left I told wife to choose how open she wanted her window and then not to touch it. Also told her to button up cause we wouldn't be running the heater or air-cond. Didn't turn on any lights, it sprinkled but didn't turn on the wipers, nor did we run the radio. Used turn-signals only when necessary. Made it home O.K. Took the alternator to Advanced-Auto the next day to have it checked before replacing, and the guy said it was so burned out it wouldn't even register anything on the machine. Replaced alternator and all has been well since then.

I'm assuming your battery has been fine for all this time too? Maybe the slow charge made the difference.

linda503
08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
The exact thing happened to me this week. My car's radio turned on and off and the lights/alerts started flashing. My car then died and would not start and had to be towed. My battery was drained and had to be recharged so I got my battery checked and they said it was fine. My alternator turned out to be burned out so I replaced that yesterday.

The issue now is...
Everything ran fine yesterday but when I drove my car this morning, I noticed the Brake light flashed. I'm afraid that's the first indicator (just like last time) and my car will die on the road again. What could be causing this again since I've already replaced my alternator and had my battery checked?

Dekeman
08-15-2010, 07:15 PM
The exact thing happened to me this week. My car's radio turned on and off and the lights/alerts started flashing. My car then died and would not start and had to be towed. My battery was drained and had to be recharged so I got my battery checked and they said it was fine. My alternator turned out to be burned out so I replaced that yesterday.

The issue now is...
Everything ran fine yesterday but when I drove my car this morning, I noticed the Brake light flashed. I'm afraid that's the first indicator (just like last time) and my car will die on the road again. What could be causing this again since I've already replaced my alternator and had my battery checked?

I'd have the battery re-checked at a different shop first, to eliminate that as a cause. Then I'd go to a store like Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone, who will plug in a code reader free of charge. If the brake light is going off, either the computer is displaying a trouble code that can be read, or there may be low fluid in the system (that's the easy fix). Also have them check the idler pulley and tensioner to be sure that the belt-driven systems are running ok (would mean that the alternator still isn't turning properly and putting out enough voltage).

Add your comment to this topic!