Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Static charge--->help!

chaos
04-14-2003, 01:50 AM
Do you guys have problems with static charge building up on your models? I sprayed one wet coat and let it dry for about 24hrs - when I took out the model to lay down the 2nd wetcoat, I noticed the model was charged. I tried washing it with hot water/dishwashing liquid (as I read in a reply in Pman's painting tutorial). But, this still didn't work, as once the model dried - I noticed dust still going at it like flies to s***!!! :(
Any suggestions? TIA

primera man
04-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Cant say i've had this problem before :bloated: ....hopefully someone will have a answer for you

The Lambrusco Kid
04-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Hum... Maybe you could spray it with "static guard" ? When I was in colege I was working in a plastic molding company and when they produced parts ment for electronics, we had to spray them.

I know it did not stain the plastic (I cannot be sure about the paint, try it on a scrap part first?)

Or maybe you could rub it with a sheet of Downie or Bounce...

Good luck!

nornicle
04-14-2003, 06:02 AM
no help here.. but ALL car models are dust magnets... unless you have p-mans display cabinet ;P

Veyron
04-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Pollyscale makes an anti static liquid that you wash your models with before painting, I hear it works well. :)

ales
04-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Also Dupont makes it especially for plastic car parts. I'm planning on getting some andusing it on every model from now ;)

chaos
04-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ales
Also Dupont makes it especially for plastic car parts. I'm planning on getting some andusing it on every model from now ;)

Will you be using this before or after the spraying?

ales
04-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by chaos

Will you be using this before or after the spraying?

Before. As I understand it, this is a light thinner that is used on bare plastic.

Add your comment to this topic!