Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 bonneville se air suspension ???'s

l67cooled
03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I recently purchased a 2003 bonneville se with air ride suspension. I'm new to this type of suspension and its in need of serious repair. I feel like the back shocks are completely shot or are loosing air somewhere.

Can anyone tell me where the air pump is? When should it pump? I'm wondering if my shocks are worn or if the pump is shot. Is there anyway to tell which is causing my unsafe soft ride? How do you test the pump?

I could easily replace the rear shocks but I want to make sure its not just a pump issue first.

What's used in the front? Is that air ride as well what? My front suspension feels better than the rear but I might just replace all 4 corners.

Thanks in advance guys

Ryan

johnnywoodward
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Just replaced these yesterday on my 03:) one shock was completly broke in half! Didn't feel THAT bad when driving but once I pulled the wheel off it was obvious. I was worried about the compressor as well but just assumed the shocks are going to go before the compressor. So grab a set of Monroe shocks (got mine at O'rileys about $75 for both) they will work with the stock air system. If you put them on and they don't level out (compressor or air line leaks) you can get a set of Gabriels from Autozone that have their own air lines that connect to a valve similar to your tires, these bypass the compressor and you just set them to 25-35 lbs of pressure. The front suspension is classic struts and springs (probably good for now)

johnnywoodward
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
The pump is on the passenger side rear of the vehicle kinda hard to hear it kick on and only pumps for a couple seconds. Just get a set of Monroe shocks you'll be good to go, if you want to double check just jack it up take the rear tires off and look at the shocks if they have a lot of moisture collecting around the rubber they are bad

l67cooled
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Johnny! I replaced the rear struts yesterday; man what a difference that made. Only took about a half hour to do :)

Add your comment to this topic!