Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 ford crown vic -police inter

rjinmt
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
need to pull passenger/left side head, has two lifters out.. how hard is it to pull them in the car without remmoving engine?

way2old
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
It is not real easy, but it can be done. Remove the wiper module to give more room. be patient. You can replace followers without pulling head. If you have the cam locking tools, it is a fairly simple process.

dezso3
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
How come the 1998 model Ford Crown Victoria, which is used by most police departments in the United States, has a 4.6L Modular SOHC V8 that only has 235 horsepower? I mean that's not very powerful. The 2007 Toyota Camry with the 3.5 L DOHC engine has 268 horsepower. So basically that means that a Toyota Camry can outrun the police. EPIC FAIL! :tongue:

way2old
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
AAAHHHHH Yes. The famous fast car that out runs police cars. But remember, how fast is a Motorola???:rofl::rofl::loser:

Blue)(Fusion
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
How come the 1998 model Ford Crown Victoria, which is used by most police departments in the United States, has a 4.6L Modular SOHC V8 that only has 235 horsepower? I mean that's not very powerful. The 2007 Toyota Camry with the 3.5 L DOHC engine has 268 horsepower. So basically that means that a Toyota Camry can outrun the police. EPIC FAIL! :tongue:

There's more to it than numbers on paper. And true that nobody can outrun a radio. And IIRC the 1998 P71s only had 215HP, not 235. With that said though, the V-8 delivers more torque than the Camry throughout the RPM range which means greater accelerations. HP ratings are just the maximum horsepower achieved @RPM. It's the torque that is the important part that gets the car up to speed, and the 4.6L has more of it, albeit not a great deal more.

Also take into account that gearing, shift time, gross weight, and other factors play into the acceleration and max speed of a car. Chances are if you raced a V-6 2007 Camry against a 1998 CVPI, the PI would win. A 1999 would do even better because of a more aggressive spark timing table which provides even more torque to accelerate throughout the RPM range. A 2000, though, would be far behind with it's...retarded timing table...:eek7:

longknife58
05-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a 98 P71 that I did both heads on. Removing the wiper housing makes it a lot easier, but I did'nt have to. Be careful with the new gasket, it's a tight fit. As stated in prev.reply, "lock your cam with the right tools." Also, it's heavier, but a lot easier to disconnect the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds and remove the heads with the exhaust manifolds on. In all, it's not that rough a job. Use new headbolts or you'll be :banghead: .

Add your comment to this topic!