Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just wondering...

FR1TZ
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Me, and a buddy of mine were talking the other day, about possibly building a "death race" type car. Obviously it would be for show, and wouldnt actually have guns on it, or real armor for that matter.
Anyway, we decided a firebird would be the perfect car. Probably late 70's, early 80's.
Just wanted to know if there is any info on firebirds I should be aware of? What years are easy/hard to find, cheap/expensive to buy, ect...

whoisdabomb86
03-15-2010, 11:10 PM
hahaha...a death race car....does anyone else find this ridiculous...try any firebird 82-92 i guess. there cheap and easy to find, not to be meen but have you thought about this, it sounds pretty stupid..

wrightz28
03-16-2010, 09:55 AM
In all fairness I have noticed more "theme" type cars at shows in recent times, ie - mock up show and movie nockoff cars.

If you're serious about the years your looking for it could go either way. Late 70's and early 80's were doggie-dog in performance, sooooo, they were prime pickers for modified builders since the "powerplants" they came with were often thrown to the wayside.

MrPbody
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
At the show Valentine's Day in Richmond, there was a "Dragula" AND a "Munster Coach". Both were "clones" of the originals. The Munster Coach had a small block Chevy in it.... (the original had a 428 Ford). Dragula also had a small block Chevy (original was an early Hemi).

Bottom line is, it's YOUR money. Do with it as you please. The late '70s Firebirds have become quite popular among the street machine crowd. Value of T/As and Formulas is as high or higher than ever. "Plain Janes" are still "out there", but getting scarce. Those cars don't use Chevy engines (majority, anyway). 3rd gen cars ('82-'92) are far less popular. The result is "cheaper". Good handlers, but woefully under-powered. The little 305 simply isn't a good performance engine. Adding a 383 with modern "goodies" will certainly make it a good performer. 350 isn't a BAD choice...

FWIW

Jim

wrightz28
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
At the show Valentine's Day in Richmond, there was a "Dragula" AND a "Munster Coach". Both were "clones" of the originals. The Munster Coach had a small block Chevy in it.... (the original had a 428 Ford). Dragula also had a small block Chevy (original was an early Hemi).

Exactly, just saw the same cars here in Chicago at the World of Wheels show a couple of weeks ago.

Add your comment to this topic!