Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Cutlass Ciera wont start

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok here is the history.....last week I was driving and my radio turned off and then right back on. I stopped at al ight the car died then was fine. After work my car would not turn over at all,no lights nothing. After about 10 minutes it started right up. When my bf got home we tested the alternator which was fine, battery was a little low so we charged it. Everything was fine foter waiting for a few days.

I then left work and decided to go to the car wash to get all the salt from the winter off it. I did the under body wash. Went and ran an errand. When I came back, my car started, the started idling a lot then died. It would turn over, but not "catch" Finally after about 15 minutes of sitting there it started and I got home just fine. BF checked the fuses the oe for interior lights was blown, along with the bulb on my tail lights werent working. Replaced thise and everything seemed fine.

Today I went to start my car and it started then died. Now when I turn the key nothing. No lights nothign at all. Tested the battery and again fine. BF thinks its a bad ground some where. Any suggestions?

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Could it be spark plugs? Im desperate here. I have to have a car to get to work. BF works 2 jobs so us carpooling just isnt possible.

aleekat
03-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Sounds like battery cable issues.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
He checked all the battery cables, but he was pretty frustrated when doing so because he came home on his lunch break. Is there anything specific we should look for? Maybe I can do some checking before he gets home.

aleekat
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
If all he did was look at the cables, may not be enough. Cables do corrode down inside the sheathing. It sounds like no voltage getting to the starter solenoid. But since you lose all interior lights.

"Turn the key and no lights".
Maybe ignition switch going back..The other safety switches normally allow the lights to come on but won't let it turn over.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok Ill have him look at that when he gets home. Hopefully by then hes a little less frustrated and its something he can figure out. Luckily its DST so it stays light till like 900 now.

Is there a way to test to see if its the ignition switch? Or is it just something you have to replace?

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh I also forgot to mention at one point when my car tried to start then died (this morning) When I turned the key no lights etc came on but it made a weird buzzing noise...very faint even when key was out. Couldnt tell where it was coming from.

Update BF just called...he works changing oil on weekends. He talked to a mechanic and they agree its either cable issue to the alternator or the ignition switch. Hes going to stop and buy one on the way home and see if thats the issue.

aleekat
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I probably would replace the battery ground cable first. Has to be cheaper than an ignition switch.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Ok Ill let him know. But even if he buys the switch and its not the problem we can return it. We go to this auto store and know they guys. So as long as there is not damage to it they let us return things.

Is there an online "guide" he can use to help if this si the case? I did a general search for replacing the ignition switch but he was not sure about just using a general search is the best or one that is specific to the car.

aleekat
03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't know about online. Haynes manual is not bad. You may want to ask about returning the switch before you buy it. Some places won't let you return electrical items. And if it is the switch, don't know what models, but some you have to drill out rivets, no screws or bolts.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much for your help :) I appreciate it. They will let us return it since we know all the employees and owner.

I may just have him pick up a manual. Ill keep ya posted on what happens.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
So far no luck in finding the bad ground. (if this is what it is) He bought one of the testers and every wire he tested comes back as working. So not sure whats going on. I was really hoping this would be a quick fix. I need my car for work :(

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Well now hes wondering if it could be a solenoid or back to the ignition switch. Guess Ill be begging for rides home till we get this figured out. DOnt have money to take it in to be told it will ocst hundreds of dollars to fix.

Ta2uedJen
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok so I think its working now!! After tinkering for ever he pulled off the battery cable completly. It was very dirty caked with oil (I have a slight oil leak) He cleaned it with stuff he bought for wires hooked it all up and guess what? It started! He said he did notice while taking it off the one side seemed lose. So possibly a combo of both very dirty and lose connection. As soon as he hooked it all up the car started right up with all lights noises etc.

I really hope this was it!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed!

aleekat
03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
If it starts/runs fine great. At that point I would replace both battery cables.

Ta2uedJen
03-16-2010, 05:26 PM
So far so good! I think his plan is to replace the other battery cable as well. By the time all was done is was almost 11 pm. Now he works both jobs through wedneday. Thursday he is replacing back brakes and drums...so Ill suggest replacing the cables. Might as well while we are working on the car.

Add your comment to this topic!