SAFC Super Air Flow Converter help ......Is anyone familiar with the Apexi SAFC?

rx7rookie
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I have a third gen 93 , when I got the car it had already installed this Apexi SAFC, it has been sitting a while since i bought it, almost 5 years, but through that time, I have always started it and taken it out a little bit, anyways lately I have been getting it ready to run it as a daily driver, and it has been doing great for the last month I have been running it. Last night for whatever reason, i messed with SAFC, and maybe a pressed some things I wasn't suppose to. Now the car idles really really low and will die if I dont keep my foot on the gas. There maybe other stuff that is causing this but I thought it was a crazy coincidence that this would happen the exact time I messed with that thing? Any body that can help, please do....
Let me know if there is other info you may need that I didnt list.

jcsaleen
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Best advice, Get rid of that pos SAFC. The SAFC is for basic street model cars with mild mods who want to bump up or tune out the ratio a bit. You NEED a real fully mapable ecu, if you don't your car will eventually detonate. Spend the money and get what I have (It is the most common for 3rd gens) Apexi Power FC with the commander preferably.

Also you might have thrown a seal, do a compression test if your under 100 on any of the faces your engine might be going. Messing with fuel ratio settings is a very dangerious thing on an rx7.

rx7rookie
03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
thanks, i tried uninstalling it, but when i went to do so, i guess the original owner spliced some wires to install it the easy way out, and if i just disconnect it , the car wont start at all, and someone also mentioned it could be idleing low because the fuel filter is bad and not getting enough fuel to idle, when i drive it , it wont let me punch the gas, it hesitates big time, and even if i am very slow on the accelerator, it will only go up to 3500 rpm, any thoughts on that?

jcsaleen
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
thanks, i tried uninstalling it, but when i went to do so, i guess the original owner spliced some wires to install it the easy way out, and if i just disconnect it , the car wont start at all, and someone also mentioned it could be idleing low because the fuel filter is bad and not getting enough fuel to idle, when i drive it , it wont let me punch the gas, it hesitates big time, and even if i am very slow on the accelerator, it will only go up to 3500 rpm, any thoughts on that?

To be honest Ii'm not sure, unless the fuel filter is extremely clogged I highly doubt thats the issue. From what you described I'd bet 90% that it's the Safc. You MUST get it out and get a power FC, if you don't you risk blowing your motor.

TRUST ME ON THIS, IF YOU DON'T GET IT OUT YOU WILL DO SERIOUS DAMAGE AND YOU WILL PAY 5X WHAT YOU COULD HAVE PAID. Bring it to a shop and tell them you want the Safc removed, first get a used power FC from the Rx7club. You should be able to get one with out the commander for around 400.

Add your comment to this topic!