Enginge problem code P0505 Idle air/speed control system

Trueeclipse
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Symptoms:
-Car idle sputters from 2000 RPMS to 3500 RPMS when in neutral
-Car drives itself when in gear or jerks back and forth as if someone is putting their foot on the pedal when in reality I am not pushing the gas pedal at all.

So I got a diagnostic code back from my OBD2 Scanner.

P0505 Idle air/Speed control system,

what does this mean exactly? Does this mean the part needs replacing? Or is there a way to fix it, for example could there be a leak or something stupid messing up the whole thing!?

is this part i need ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-MTR-96-97-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-2-4L_W0QQitemZ170262864256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a4752180

ned032002
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I would see if you can test the one you have before you go and spend that kind of money. Look into a repair manual and see if you can test yours with a ohm meter. Testing resistance is really easy and worth doing before you go out and by one.

Here's a used tested one that's a lot cheaper if you need to go that route
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-98-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-2.4L-IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-IAC-Valve_W0QQitemZ130368959998QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20 100223?IMSfp=TL100223141009r38618

Trueeclipse
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I would see if you can test the one you have before you go and spend that kind of money. Look into a repair manual and see if you can test yours with a ohm meter. Testing resistance is really easy and worth doing before you go out and by one.

Here's a used tested one that's a lot cheaper if you need to go that route
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-98-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-2.4L-IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-IAC-Valve_W0QQitemZ130368959998QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20 100223?IMSfp=TL100223141009r38618

good idea, I will take it to a mechanic and then tell him the error code.

then he can test it, see if theres any cleaning needed, and vacuum leaks

if it all checks out then i need 300 dollars for a third idle motor..

I replaced this part before with another used one I got for 50 dollars

david-b
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Ya honestly it could just be dirty. The ISC can get plugged and not work properly. Just pulling off the TB and taking off the ISC and cleaning out all the little duct work could solve the problem. Also, check the TB gasket. When I blew my gasket, the air bypasses the ISC (IAC on the 420a but still the same thing) and threw a CEL because the IAC couldn't adjust enough to compensate for that extra air coming into the motor.

Trueeclipse
03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Ya honestly it could just be dirty. The ISC can get plugged and not work properly. Just pulling off the TB and taking off the ISC and cleaning out all the little duct work could solve the problem. Also, check the TB gasket. When I blew my gasket, the air bypasses the ISC (IAC on the 420a but still the same thing) and threw a CEL because the IAC couldn't adjust enough to compensate for that extra air coming into the motor.

I guess I will buy some carbon cleaner tmrw.

The only thing is I cant work on my car where im it I dont have a garage here and its always rainy or cold.

I think if the idle motor was bad it would just die out all the time, it doesnt die at all it still idles strong but it idles up and down and up and down and then drives itself when its in a gear....

thought it was the MAF but the engine code says different

SilvrEclipse
03-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Check for vac leaks like Dave said. If there is a leak somewhere the ISC is going to try and close to restrict the air coming in. But since it has no control over the air coming in the motor idles high. The ECU doens't pick up leaks in the intake manifold and assumes that there is a problem with the ISC and its causing the problem.

clonetrooper84
03-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I had that exact problem a week ago.Its the ISC sensor. Just go to the junk yard and grab one. I did and it cost me 5 bucks.:evillol:

Add your comment to this topic!