Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Exhaust Help Please!!

msmith69oldz
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Hello! My brother has a 2000 s10 pickup 4.3 v6 4x4 165,000 miles. runs great. Problem is it failed inspection for an exhaust problem. They said the y pipe needs to be replaced and the part itself would cost $650! I cant find it online anywhere to buy an aftermarket y pipe.Is this y pipe easy to remove if we find one at a u-pull-it auto salvage yard? Or can anyone suggest where to purchase one at a reasonable price? Thanks!

Blt2Lst
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Hello! My brother has a 2000 s10 pickup 4.3 v6 4x4 165,000 miles. runs great. Problem is it failed inspection for an exhaust problem. They said the y pipe needs to be replaced and the part itself would cost $650! I cant find it online anywhere to buy an aftermarket y pipe.Is this y pipe easy to remove if we find one at a u-pull-it auto salvage yard? Or can anyone suggest where to purchase one at a reasonable price? Thanks!

Was it the dealer quoting $650?
Call around to some muffler shops and see what they offer or you could locate one in a junk yard.
$650 seem a little high.

msmith69oldz
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Actually it wasnt the dealer it was a local Midas. Quakertown,PA Took it in for state inspection they said it would cost a total of $2100 to fix everything to pass! By everything I mean front and rear brakes and rotors and the exhasut problem.The $650 was just for the y pipe they also want $159 to install it. I been searching online and I think I havent been able to find anything on a Y pipe because it looks like they only sell a catalytic converter assembly. So if im not mistaken I probably wont be able to get one at a junk yard because it is illegal for them to sell used catalytic converters right?

Blt2Lst
03-12-2010, 05:51 PM
looks like they only sell a catalytic converter assembly. So if im not mistaken I probably wont be able to get one at a junk yard because it is illegal for them to sell used catalytic converters right?

I did not realize it was an assembly with cats, that would explain the price.
I would still call around to a few different shops.

And yes, it is illegal to sell used cats so a used assy might be out of the question.

ZL1power69
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Technically the factory style y-pipe included the pre-cat and main cat and runs from the manifolds to the rear of the transfer case where it bolts up to the muffler. I believe walker did make a replacement for $350-$400, not sure if they still do, as well as Magnaflow (but only for 2wd). Its a pain to remove. There are 3 studs on each manifold and nuts holding the y-pipe on. These will probably be rusted and both the studs and nuts are known to break off. Each side has a donut gasket that fits between the manifold and the y-pipe. There are also two bolts in the rear that connect it to the muffler and tail pipe. Once its all unbolted you will have to pull it toward the front of the truck over the trans crossmember to remove it.

Add your comment to this topic!