Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Silo - Bad Fuel Mileage all of a Sudden

SilverOLDS
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
My last full tank got 400 km (240 miles) and I am puzzled as to why. I think it may be a O2 sensor but wouldn't that have put up a warning light or something? I haven't got it scanned yet but any suggestions before I investigate would be helpful.

roadrunner2
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
My last full tank got 400 km (240 miles) and I am puzzled as to why. I think it may be a O2 sensor but wouldn't that have put up a warning light or something? I haven't got it scanned yet but any suggestions before I investigate would be helpful.

On average, a well tuned Silo 3.4L V6 should get 23 mpg EXCEPT during winter and in the snowbelt regions of North America.

Differences in gasoline properties during winter cause a slight loss of mileage.

The 2000 Silo I had used to lose up to 3 mpg during winter. Different tires/temps/driving conditions/bogged down traffic (resulting in too much idling time).

That said, you seem to be getting almost 1/2 your expected mileage.

When was the last 'tune up'?

Gas filter replacement? Hilly terrain?

Do you have a CEL on?

After you get the code(s) post the numbers back here will you?

SilverOLDS
03-12-2010, 09:07 AM
My last tune up was in mid-January, just before I drove to Florida.
What was changed:
New Air Filter-NAPA Gold
New Oil Filter-NAPA Gold
New Fuel Filter-NAPA
Oil-Castrol 5W-30 w/Lucas Oil Treatment
Fuel - for Florida trip - only brandname Chevron, Shell - midgrade or premium.
On the drive down I was getting about 8.8l/100km or 27 mpg US. Not bad considering all the mountains in PA, WV and VA. But on the way back we hid those blizzards through the mountains. We drove through it all and the bottom of the van was absolutely caked in snow/ice. I wonder if the snow under the van damaged something. I got about 10.0l/100km or 24 mpg US.

I haven't replaced the plugs since I bought the van 2.5 years ago at 130,000 kms. It now has 190,000 km on it. I dread changing them and having to get to the 3 behind the motor.

No CEL light but I hope to get it scanned today. Will post all ifo.

H_civic66
03-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I was having the same problem and today the cel light came on and it was P0420, I hope someone can help you or maybe tell me if that is the 02 sensor and which one to replace.

roadrunner2
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I was having the same problem and today the cel light came on and it was P0420, I hope someone can help you or maybe tell me if that is the 02 sensor and which one to replace.

The post-cat converter O2 sensor is the one that gives an indication something may be wrong with the cat converter.

Now, just because the code PO420 (Catalyst system below below threshold) shows, it does not mean the sensor is the problem, but rather leads you to that area where the fault is.

The O2 sensors can and should be tested before changing.

By all means, get other opinions.

LMP
03-13-2010, 06:58 AM
INterested in the mileage you will have with the NEXT tank of fuel.... 10l/100km in winter condition is not bad at all. My guess is it will recover.
Another possibility, if the fuel mileage problem confirms, is erraneous temperature reading that would keep the computer in "default" mode, that is, not taking the O2 sensor into thr loop because it thinks the engine is not up to temp. However, if engine operation passes a given duration without temp going up, it should pop a code....

SilverOLDS
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
INterested in the mileage you will have with the NEXT tank of fuel.... 10l/100km in winter condition is not bad at all. My guess is it will recover.
Another possibility, if the fuel mileage problem confirms, is erraneous temperature reading that would keep the computer in "default" mode, that is, not taking the O2 sensor into thr loop because it thinks the engine is not up to temp. However, if engine operation passes a given duration without temp going up, it should pop a code....

This is what a mechanic told me yesterday. He said US gas is formulated different than ours and it may take a tank or two for the computer to adjust back to ours. I've never heard that before. My wife did say that she smelled strong gas fuems when she started up the van yesterday.

Also, I had the thermostat replaced in January and it has made a BIG difference in how fast the engine warms up. A big difference in how quickly we get heat now. The temp. needle is at about 3/8.

I haven't had it scanned yet. Too busy with new business.

Add your comment to this topic!