Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Issues 2002 Chevy Blazer

DesMullen
03-11-2010, 09:40 AM
:runaround:Ok, so I was driving about 40mph and a huge loud clunk happened and the truck was in drive but behaving as neutral. I shifted into neutral then back to drive and it engaged, but now my reverse is not working at all, it is like neutral as well. And now when I drive from a low speed (25mph or slower) it revs up to 400rpms before it shifts into a normal gear. After I hit 25mph it operates fine until I have to slow back down to a stop. What are your thoughts on this? Why might this be happening? Please help me! I am a woman with 2 small kids and can not afford for this vehicle to be out of commission.

TCGrove
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I just had a similar thing happen on my 99 Blazer with 158,000 miles on it. These transmissions are typically a 4L60E and the "sun gear shell" fails on them. You will get no reverse gear, the car starts out in something like 2nd gear, it will rev to say 2500-3000 rpm until you back off a little, and it will kick into high gear. You'll need to have your transmission replaced or rebuilt. I was lucky enough to get a rebuilt one for $750 and have a guy install it for $200. Of course he broke the safety neutral switch on the tranny and it cost another $40 from the local parts store. If you take it into a shop your looking at $1600+. My sister owns a 2000 Jimmy that the tranny went at 127,000. She had the same problem. Good Luck....

Schrade
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
It doesn't sound good so far.

Sun gear can give out if you do not come to a COMPLETE stop before changing from forward to reverse, and back. Do you do this at all?

Has the vehicle been maintained? Fluids, filters?

You'll need to get a scan/diagnosis done for starters. Get the results ON PAPER, and post back.

jaksdad66
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
This same exact thing happened to my son's 2000 Blazer. Does anyone know if it is ok to continue to drive the vehicle until we get it fixed? We are in the process of locating a rebuilt transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!