Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sudden Acceleration Related Question?

MikeMoss
03-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

That was supposed to say Sudden Acceleration Related Question.

I don't own a Toyota, I have a Saturn View and a Honda Accord V6 Coupe but I'm thinking about buying a Prius.

But what I wan't to know is, is there a reason that people who own a Toyota can't shift them into neutral when they have the stuck accelerator problem?

As you probably already know there was another case today with a Prius where the police had to stop the car by pulling in front of it.

Both of my cars can be shifted into neutral while moving, I demoed this for my wife last week to make sure that she knew what to do if she ever had a throttle problem.

My friend Paul has a Camry and he can shift into neutral while under power so why do people go careening down the highway instead of shifting into neutral pulling over and shutting off the key?

I assume that like my cars they have a rev limiter so that it won't blow up the engine but even if it did it's better then the alternative.

Mike

ebaysian88
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
What would be the ramifications of just turning your engine off when this happens?

MikeMoss
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
What would be the ramifications of just turning your engine off when this happens?

I think the main issues is fear of having the steering column lock and losing the power steering and brakes.

It is also much quicker to just push the shift lever ahead one notch then to fumble for the key.

What I want to know is: is there some kind of lockout or something that prevents some Toyotas from doing this. I don't understand people driving for miles at uncontrolled speeds. One of the casualties was a state police officer. I would think he would have had some idea what to do.

Back in the 70s I drove cars for the Car and Track TV show.
We would run the cars around race tracks at high speed or run quarter miles to get film footage.

I ran into several cases where after having the brakes fail because of overheating I was unable to down shift automatic transmission cars because of lockouts that wouldn't let the car down shift above a certain speed.

This left me careening into a corner at high speed with no way at all to slow the car. I just wondered if there is anything like this happening with Toyota.

Mike

ebaysian88
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Steering column would only lock if you turned the key completely off, which you would also have to put an auto transmission into park to do. What I'm talking about is the accessory position, where you still have power but the engine is turned off. You wouldnt lose your hydraulic controls like brakes because those arent electronically controlled, correct?

MikeMoss
03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi

I don't really know much about the Prius, but I'm trying to find out if there is any reason that you can't shift one into neutral when moving. My friend tried in his Camry and didn't have any trouble shifting in to neutral while under power.

If it is true that the steering column won't lock except in park then that would be a valid option as well but the quickest thing you could do is just shift into neutral (probably won't take more then 2 seconds) apply the brakes, then worry about getting the engine shut down.

So why are these people driving for miles unable to stop their cars?

Mike

Leith
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
To understand the consumer behaviour difference in purchasing toyota motor vehicle in Japan and UK. it is about how toyota is being one of the most successful car manufacturer in Japan, whilst consumers in the UK rather purchasing others with similar price, quality and etc over toyota.

May I know why TOYOTA..??

thank you for your time, this is greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!