Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tighten Up Steering

Blue)(Fusion
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
What are some ways to tighten up the steering on a 99 CV and 00 GM? Their steering and suspension is the same so I thought I'd post in the Ford section which gets more viewers.

The symptoms I have in both cars is somewhat sloppy steering. On the highway, it requires about two inches of moving the steering wheel back and forth to maintain the lane. This is in both cars which are both about 100k so I'm sure it's wear related.

Both have new upper and lower ball joints and front shocks ($40 OEM pair of front shocks at RockAuto!). How do I go about checking what I should replace next?

way2old
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
The steering box is adjustable, but is very, very touchy. If you have never adjusted one, without someone watching over you, I do not recommend it. You can have someone rock the steering form where it catches and see where the slack is. Watch the shaft turn and see where it stops before any more movement is seen. If it is moving all the way to the steering box and has delay coming out, the box is worn.

Blue)(Fusion
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Well sounds like I won't adjust the box myself. But I did check the steering shaft and to my untrained eye, the U-joint looked okay and when I was turning the wheel back and forth a few inches, the shaft had no slack. I did this with the car turned off, if it matters. Sadly, I had noone to help me so I have yet to see if there's slack after the steering box. Would it matter if I test it engine running or not? The wheels will be off the ground to get under there anyway.

way2old
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Look at the pitman arm where it comes out of the box. If the wheel can be turned with the engine running, the pitman arm should move almost at the same time. Then look at all the tie rods and idler arm the same way. There will be a place where there is slack before movement is seen. Good luck.

Blue)(Fusion
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks way2old. I'll have the girlfriend come over to turn the wheel...better yet stick her underneath since I have a fractured ankle. :D

way2old
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Now I did not say that!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!