1990 S-10 floods itself

TorturdChaos
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is what is happening. Bought the truck used about 9 months ago. About a week and a half ago it started loosing power. Decided I probably need to plugs. Was all set to do those last weekend, when Friday I barely got it to limp to work (which is only a mile away) and it started lugging really bad. Only way I could keep it running was to really put my foot into it and run it about 1 gear higher than I normally would. By the time I got it home from work it wouldn't even stay running. Barely made it.

Last weekend I did the plugs, no improvement. Friend sugguested the fuel filter so I did that. No improvement at all. It has a new distributor and roter on it I put in just after Christmas.

As best I can tell its flooding itself. Either getting too much fuel or not burning the fuel. The old plugs I pulled where pretty black, and I have been told that means its running pretty rich. Pulled one of the new plugs after firing it up a few times (and it dieing) and they are staring to get black.

We hooked my friends portable little hand held OBD checker to it (it does check both OBD-1 & 2) but it came back with no codes >_<. My check engine light was on, but went off after I did the plugs / fuel filter....

It only has about 110,000 miles on it. Its a 4.3 V6, with a 5 speed manual. I haven't been messing with anything on it at all that could have causes this - haven't tinkered with anything at all really.

I normally do all my own mechanic work but I'm running outa idea's on this, and maybe getting a bit in over my head. :confused:

If you guys need any other info let me know....Or if you have any idea whats wrong, and how I can check it.

jeremyshaneyates
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Here is what is happening. Bought the truck used about 9 months ago. About a week and a half ago it started loosing power. Decided I probably need to plugs. Was all set to do those last weekend, when Friday I barely got it to limp to work (which is only a mile away) and it started lugging really bad. Only way I could keep it running was to really put my foot into it and run it about 1 gear higher than I normally would. By the time I got it home from work it wouldn't even stay running. Barely made it.

Last weekend I did the plugs, no improvement. Friend sugguested the fuel filter so I did that. No improvement at all. It has a new distributor and roter on it I put in just after Christmas.

As best I can tell its flooding itself. Either getting too much fuel or not burning the fuel. The old plugs I pulled where pretty black, and I have been told that means its running pretty rich. Pulled one of the new plugs after firing it up a few times (and it dieing) and they are staring to get black.

We hooked my friends portable little hand held OBD checker to it (it does check both OBD-1 & 2) but it came back with no codes >_<. My check engine light was on, but went off after I did the plugs / fuel filter....

It only has about 110,000 miles on it. Its a 4.3 V6, with a 5 speed manual. I haven't been messing with anything on it at all that could have causes this - haven't tinkered with anything at all really.

I normally do all my own mechanic work but I'm running outa idea's on this, and maybe getting a bit in over my head. :confused:

If you guys need any other info let me know....Or if you have any idea whats wrong, and how I can check it.
make sure ur wires r correct......driver side front 2 back....1,3,5....pass side........2,4,6.......also did u gap the plugs to the correct gap

TorturdChaos
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Plugs should be .035" and I double checked the gap on all of them. I did the plugs one at a time as to make sure I didn't get a wire going to the wrong place.

tacmale
03-16-2010, 01:14 AM

I had a similar problem with my 87 s10. Turned out that one of the injectors quit on the Throttle Body Injection. I did not have anyone who could help me with keeping the vehicle running while i checked it out so it took me a while to find the problem.

If you have the TBI make sure you are getting fuel from both injectors and that the flow is cone shaped and a fine mist.

Hope this helps

TorturdChaos
03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I had a similar problem with my 87 s10. Turned out that one of the injectors quit on the Throttle Body Injection. I did not have anyone who could help me with keeping the vehicle running while i checked it out so it took me a while to find the problem.

If you have the TBI make sure you are getting fuel from both injectors and that the flow is cone shaped and a fine mist.

Hope this helps
thx for input.

yah have check the injectors and both seem to be spraying out a mist....think it's what its supposed to look like, never really looked at it till I had troubles :P

tacmale
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
thx for input.

yah have check the injectors and both seem to be spraying out a mist....think it's what its supposed to look like, never really looked at it till I had troubles :P

There are certain procedures you should follow in diagnosing any starting or running problems. The engine needs 3 things to run fuel, spark, and oxygen(air).

These are the first things you should check. if any one of these is bad or out of spec the engine won't likely run or at least run well. One other check you should make is the compression.

I noticed you said you changed plugs I am assuming you had spark but was the spark hot enough. It should show up as blueish white when it fires. You can check this by pulling 2 wires next to each other and turn it over the spark should jump across the gap.

If all of these things show up good, the next thing I would check is the actual fuel flow coming out of the Injectors, you should see a definite increase in the cone it will become denser looking.

If it doesn't increase when you give it gas, you may have a bad fuel injector pressure regulator. It is located on top of TBI in the back of the injector assembly the housing looks like a Y shaped piece. Pull i out check for holes or tears in the diaphragm. You will need to put new gaskets on it after checking but they are relatively cheap.

Let me know what you find.

TorturdChaos
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
There are certain procedures you should follow in diagnosing any starting or running problems. The engine needs 3 things to run fuel, spark, and oxygen(air).

These are the first things you should check. if any one of these is bad or out of spec the engine won't likely run or at least run well. One other check you should make is the compression.

I noticed you said you changed plugs I am assuming you had spark but was the spark hot enough. It should show up as blueish white when it fires. You can check this by pulling 2 wires next to each other and turn it over the spark should jump across the gap.

If all of these things show up good, the next thing I would check is the actual fuel flow coming out of the Injectors, you should see a definite increase in the cone it will become denser looking.

If it doesn't increase when you give it gas, you may have a bad fuel injector pressure regulator. It is located on top of TBI in the back of the injector assembly the housing looks like a Y shaped piece. Pull i out check for holes or tears in the diaphragm. You will need to put new gaskets on it after checking but they are relatively cheap.

Let me know what you find.

Well it seems to have good spark, I pulled a couple plugs and turned it over with them out and my friend watching them and they all sparked nicely.

Best I can tell its running WAY to rich. Like black smoke, smell gas coming outa the tail pipe running to rich. Was told to check out the fuel pressure regulator, but not really sure where it was, so your description helps there. It does seem to spray out more fuel when u give it gas tho.

If the fuel pressure regulator is shot will it spray to much fuel?

Also, on a mechanic friends advice, I pulled the catalytic converter b/c he said it can get plugged up and give the same symptoms im getting, but no go there.

tacmale
03-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Well it seems to have good spark, I pulled a couple plugs and turned it over with them out and my friend watching them and they all sparked nicely.

Best I can tell its running WAY to rich. Like black smoke, smell gas coming outa the tail pipe running to rich. Was told to check out the fuel pressure regulator, but not really sure where it was, so your description helps there. It does seem to spray out more fuel when u give it gas tho.

If the fuel pressure regulator is shot will it spray to much fuel?

Also, on a mechanic friends advice, I pulled the catalytic converter b/c he said it can get plugged up and give the same symptoms im getting, but no go there.

Sounds like the injectors are working OK as long as you do not have any drips coming from out of them sorry I should have mentioned that last time.

As for the pressure regulator I don't know for sure but would have to assume it would as your will not be maintaining the proper pressure. My guess is it would allow too much fuel thru the injector, as it is not doing it's job of regulating it. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like your regulator is doing its job.

I also forgot to ask if the spark was regular or sporadic, the spark should be a fast rhythmic clicking sound when firing if it isn't you may have the same problem I did on my 93. I chased the problem for like 2 months before i engaged my brain and figured it out. let me know about the rythym of the spark

TorturdChaos
03-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Sounds like the injectors are working OK as long as you do not have any drips coming from out of them sorry I should have mentioned that last time.

As for the pressure regulator I don't know for sure but would have to assume it would as your will not be maintaining the proper pressure. My guess is it would allow too much fuel thru the injector, as it is not doing it's job of regulating it. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like your regulator is doing its job.

I also forgot to ask if the spark was regular or sporadic, the spark should be a fast rhythmic clicking sound when firing if it isn't you may have the same problem I did on my 93. I chased the problem for like 2 months before i engaged my brain and figured it out. let me know about the rythym of the spark

Spark looks pretty regular, keeps a constant rhythm. Tested it first coming off the coil, then at the plugs.

Add your comment to this topic!