Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 blazer starting problem... again

darque
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
for a month ~my 97 blazer kept stalling. starting problems. random wierdness.i read the posts and decided to changed ignition switch solved a MILLION problems present and future. the service engine light even stopped blinking WOOW>buuuutttt not sure i solved the immediate issue.

I have to jump it every morning, but once its jumped i can turn it on and off all day. runs great, literally like new. once i turn it off for the night it will not turn over in morning. two three cranks and the batt starts to die. it wants to start but seems cant get fuel in morning.

fuel filter changed.
new alt
new batt
i hear the pump working
the batt has 12. something volts when off but have not checked when running ~ will do
put new plugs in
believe o2 sensors good
tightened down bolts above drivers fender (behind black plastic box with plastic screws)
checked all visible cable and wires

have not changed wires, cap, airfilter, or coil in distrib~ will do this next.

maf pcv crankshaft sensor fuel relay damn the list is long for problems with this car....any advice? i do not know how to check the fuel pressure and do not have gauge. i have heard that water can build up in the tank but live in so cal and it has been fairly warm lately ?

if anyone can help pinpoint issue from clues given, that would be awesome

34dohc
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Try removing the positive battery terminal and clip a voltmeter that reads dc volts between the battery (+) terminal and the (+) battery wire, in line. check to see if there is any voltage being drawn through on the meter while everything in your car is turned off.This is called a parasitic drain test. dont forget about the underhood light if you have one. If there is a draw, remove one fuse at a time until you get almost a zero reading because of things like clock/radio, alarms and such. if you can get this down to zero and still cant get it to start, I would check your pos and neg battery cables with a voltmeter (ohms) or possible corrosion between contact surfaces. I would probably check the battery cables and connections first only because its easier.

darque
03-10-2010, 01:55 AM
thanks for the info... i will try this tomorrow. will do. I immediately had a hunch a ground short and assumed my sirius sat radio, not new.... but it has been unable to get a signal for as long as this weird crap has been going on. a few months now. will let you know. i cant imagine a short causing this issue but maybe. i could not =imagine the ignition switch controlling the trans-shifting. heheheh

the more crap on a car the more crap that can break.... lets go back to the 60's heavy metal rides.

Schrade
03-11-2010, 12:20 AM
thanks for the info... i will try this tomorrow. will do. I immediately had a hunch a ground short and assumed my sirius sat radio, not new.... but it has been unable to get a signal for as long as this weird crap has been going on. a few months now. will let you know. i cant imagine a short causing this issue but maybe. i could not =imagine the ignition switch controlling the trans-shifting. heheheh

the more crap on a car the more crap that can break.... lets go back to the 60's heavy metal rides.

You need an ammeter.

Disconnect the (+) battery terminal. Connect one probe of the ammeter to the battery (+) terminal, the other probe to the (+) battery cable. You will see a drain measured in amps. That's your battery voltage flowing out of the battery like water.

Start pulling fuses, ONE AT A TIME, check the ammeter, and see which fuse OUT makes it go to near 0 amps. That's your bad circuit.

Now the easy part is over, the hard part begins. You have to follow the circuit from beginning to end, to find the shorted wire to ground.

Fix.

Enjoy morning starts! :)

If you don't know how to use an ammeter, there's another tool you can use to measure electric drain:

http://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/Tongue.jpg

Instead of a gauge tho', the tongue measures drain by loudness of scream.

I don't do tongue measure tho', I'm allergic to electricity. Gives me the shakes n stuff. I start lookin' for friends when that happens, cause really good friends can keep ya' GROUNDED HA

darque
03-11-2010, 03:26 AM
so that is why the live post announcement kept popping up while typing....duh you answered in this post not that post... do not know how their are two diff posts thought same sorrry....

thanks 34dohc and cbeck1999 will work on this week... careful with your tongue dude..

darque
03-11-2010, 05:27 AM
i am not 100% i know how to use my meter cause the meter registered the same whether the positive cable was attached to battery or not. i got the same reading through out the fuse removal... however placing the red and black ends to the metal fuse home one at a time read 0.00 till i got to the radio batt fuse... watched the meter 1.14 rising slowly all the way to 10.66 +- slowly went up and down around there... can that be? how can a 12 +- (x) units ... & have a short draining.... 10 +- (x) units...

My sirius system has been working weird lately ? also i have had a bizarre experience with windshield wipers working for a minute or two then buzzzzzzzz...... & stop working. they do not even turn on anymore.

my deductive reasoning suggests something causing this recent. i had the door-cover off recently and the passenger window does not work from the passenger window switch just from the drivers... how do i determine what is on the radio circuits? ??

thanks

Schrade
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
i am not 100% i know how to use my meter cause the meter registered the same whether the positive cable was attached to battery or not. I got the same reading through out the fuse removal... However placing the red and black ends to the metal fuse home one at a time read 0.00 till i got to the radio batt fuse... Watched the meter 1.14 rising slowly all the way to 10.66 +- slowly went up and down around there... Can that be? how can a 12 +- (x) units ... & have a short draining.... 10 +- (x) units...

my sirius system has been working weird lately ? Also i have had a bizarre experience with windshield wipers working for a minute or two then buzzzzzzzz...... & stop working. They do not even turn on anymore.

My deductive reasoning suggests something causing this recent. I had the door-cover off recently and the passenger window does not work from the passenger window switch just from the drivers... How do i determine what is on the radio circuits? ??

Thanks

Because that shorted circuit (wire) is getting hot, and resistance is increasing in the circuit.

Higher temperature = higher resistance uh huh yup!!!

Add your comment to this topic!