Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front end popping noise

Wags391
03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
92 S10 4x4

Whenever I'm driving, forward or reverse, I'm getting popping noises coming from the front end. It will do it when I go in reverse and stop, and when I drive forward and turn. I know the 4x4 models have sealed, non-serviceable bearing/hubs. Are these the problems and I need to replace them?

Schrade
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
92 S10 4x4

Whenever I'm driving, forward or reverse, I'm getting popping noises coming from the front end. It will do it when I go in reverse and stop, and when I drive forward and turn. I know the 4x4 models have sealed, non-serviceable bearing/hubs. Are these the problems and I need to replace them?

If you're lucky, it's a hood bushing problem. See youtube/blazer video. I can't remember the title tho'.

MT-2500
03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
92 S10 4x4

Inspect front end for lose or worn parts.

spree
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
92 S10 4x4

Sounds like ball joints, hub and bearing assembly will make a grinding noise and the hub goes out fast. My blazer sounded just like your does, replaced all 4 ball joints and noise went away. My hub and bearing was good 1 day and 2 days later I had to replace it for fear something was gonna fall off....hopes this helps.

Wags391
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I should probably go ahead and do the ball joints and hub bearings at the same time, huh?

MT-2500
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I should probably go ahead and do the ball joints and hub bearings at the same time, huh?

Only if they are bad.
Or if you have a lot of money to burn.
Could be something else to.
First.
Have a good look at things.
Let us know what you find.

Wags391
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Only if they are bad.
Or if you have a lot of money to burn.
Could be something else to.
First.
Have a good look at things.
Let us know what you find.

What should I look for in both ball joints and hub bearings to see if they are bad or good?

MT-2500
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
What should I look for in both ball joints and hub bearings to see if they are bad or good?

On ball joints unload pressure from joints and check movement to specs.
Hub bearings check for noise on road and any movement when moving wheel in and out.
Wheel bearing should not haveany movement or noise.

Rick Norwood
03-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Go get a cold adult beverage, sit back and read this thread. It is a long one, but read it before you tear into your front end. It could save you hundreds of dollars if this is your problem.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302656

Schrade
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Go get a cold adult beverage, sit back and read this thread. It is a long one, but read it before you tear into your front end. It could save you hundreds of dollars if this is your problem.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302656

VERY GOOD ANSWER. :thumbsup:

See first response; #2, this thread above. :smooch: :cool:

But, I think he prefers to unload the cash anyway:

:dunno:

edit:
Found the Y/T vid Blazer clunking fix. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PUO-BDM0o)

spree
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
On ball joints unload pressure from joints and check movement to specs.
Hub bearings check for noise on road and any movement when moving wheel in and out.
Wheel bearing should not haveany movement or noise.

I agree with MT on this one. If your hub bearings are bad you wouldn't be driving it, grinding noise would be terrible. ball joints would have movement, maybe you only need 1 or 2, but for the extra money I changed all 4 so I wouldn't have to do it again when the ones that aren't bad went bad.

Wags391
04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I replaced the left side ball joints and though I was good. Whacked the entire thing out of alignment right away and now I'm going to replace the other side, then an immediate alignment. Problems should go away.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!