Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Bonneville SLE, front suspension??

W-T-Katt
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi all, a few days ago, I noticed a humming coming from my 1999 Bonneville SLE while going down the highway, best way I can think of to describe it is noisy (aggressive tread) tires. I've had the same tires for about a year now. The "hum" would rise and fall with speed. Aside from that everything appeared fine, no pulling, etc. Then, last night I started to get an almost grinding noise with loud clunks while traveling (any speed). Still no pulling but it feels as if something is about to break. I parked the car and had my son turn the wheel back and forth a little and something on the passenger side appeared to be sticking, grabbing, making a little clunk noise. I couldn't identify just where it was coming from. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Thanks,
~Bill

Update, I just jacked it up and did the 12-6, 9-3 test with trying to wiggle the tire. I got nothing on the side to side but had definite play on the up and down. I forget what that means though (ball joint, tie rod, wheel bearing?). Anyone?

UPDATE: OK, after having a friend come over and wiggle the tire while I got under to look at what's happening, I could see that it was most definitely the wheel bearing. ;-)

Jrs3800
03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah wheel bearings are a common occurrence on these cars... I have replaced both the front hubs on my 95 Bonneville 2 times..LOL..

l67cooled
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all, a few days ago, I noticed a humming coming from my 1999 Bonneville SLE while going down the highway, best way I can think of to describe it is noisy (aggressive tread) tires. I've had the same tires for about a year now. The "hum" would rise and fall with speed. Aside from that everything appeared fine, no pulling, etc. Then, last night I started to get an almost grinding noise with loud clunks while traveling (any speed). Still no pulling but it feels as if something is about to break. I parked the car and had my son turn the wheel back and forth a little and something on the passenger side appeared to be sticking, grabbing, making a little clunk noise. I couldn't identify just where it was coming from. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Thanks,
~Bill

Update, I just jacked it up and did the 12-6, 9-3 test with trying to wiggle the tire. I got nothing on the side to side but had definite play on the up and down. I forget what that means though (ball joint, tie rod, wheel bearing?). Anyone?

UPDATE: OK, after having a friend come over and wiggle the tire while I got under to look at what's happening, I could see that it was most definitely the wheel bearing. ;-)

12 and 6 shake is wheel bearing. 3 and 9 are tie rods. Ball joints would be tested by having wheel off the ground, use a pry bar and pry the tire up; if there's any movement ball joints are worn.

W-T-Katt
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Ty ;-)

Add your comment to this topic!