Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Sable Interior lights won't go off

E10ff
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
My wife's 99 sable dome light won't turn off after the doors are closed. The light on the dash also shows a door ajar. I've been trying to find the switch that senses when the door is closed. It's not like the old days when there was a push-button switch in the doorjamb. I'm sure the sensor is in the latch somewhere, but was asking for advice before I tear the door completely apart.

danielsatur
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Suspect the drivers door striker, because of wear + tear!

qjc000
03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Hello. I had the same problem in my 96 Sable. Internet research revealed that it is indeed wear and tear on the door latch.

I fixed it by using a combination of WD-40 and silicone lubricant (in that order) on driver and passenger latches from the door jam side. I sprayed in and around the latch and in and around the holes in the door. No problem since.

My wife's 99 sable dome light won't turn off after the doors are closed. The light on the dash also shows a door ajar. I've been trying to find the switch that senses when the door is closed. It's not like the old days when there was a push-button switch in the doorjamb. I'm sure the sensor is in the latch somewhere, but was asking for advice before I tear the door completely apart.

E10ff
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Gentlemen, thanks so much for your help. I hope to give it a try tomorrow as there is a heat shield hanging loose that is driving my wife nuts.

trey1140
03-11-2011, 10:48 AM
99 sable the door ajar light is on and the battery will go dead overnight I haveput jumpers on all ajar sencors 4 doors, hood and trunk ajar light should go out it't not the courtesy lights stay on and battery gos dead overnight i'm thinking module Please help before I buy something that is not needed.

peteru
05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
People, many thanks! I had the “door ajar” light and dome light on issue on my 99 Sable GS. Applied WD-40 as directed and issue resolved. As an added bonus, it also resolved a sticking locks issue! Now if only it resolved the “windshield wipers have a mind of their own” problem ...

Add your comment to this topic!