burning rubber smell avalon

micali
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I have a 99 avlaon that since we got it we have notice a faint smell of burning rubber. Recently it has gotten worse, sometimes so strong I have to roll down the window. It doesn't smell like burning oil that's a smell unto itself. This smells like a belt or something rubber is burning. It goes away after a few minutes but if you stop the car or restart it, it's back. I don't have a clue what it could be.

rottonrattt
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
it could be a leaking heater core

jdmccright
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
If you can, check underneath the car for any plastic bags or other material that has caught up on the undercarriage, suspension, or stuck to the exhaust. If I see any plastic debris floating around near the road, I always check my rear view mirror after I pass it to be sure it did not get snagged under my car...if you don't see it, you hooked it.

Next I would open the hood with the car idling and see if you can spot any smoke or use your nose to sniff around the engine compartment...don't get too close to rotating wheels and belts and keep loose clothing tucked away! Also, turn the steering wheel fairly fast. Do you hear any screeching? If so, the accessory belts may be loose.

Then shut the engine off & check the belts and hoses...look for any parts touching the exhaust manifold (there are manifolds in front and back of the engine) and see if the belts have a glazed appearance.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

ldt
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I too have a 1997 Toyota Avalon XLS with a burning rubber smell. I've had it for several months. I originally associated it with the defroster mode (outside air intake). I have opened the hood and sniffed around and can pick it up on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I believe if the heater core were leaking, I'd see some antifreeze on the interior car passenger floor. If anyone has a fix, please let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!