Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

lights and dash flickering

robertb
03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a 2005 tb and the electrical air pump for emissions under the seat is causing problems with the electrical system, mainly with the headlights and dash. It cost me 60 bucks for the dealer to tell me it might be the battery or alternator and did nothing. I think they already knew what the real problem was, they have worked on enough of these things. I know I am not the only one to have this problem. Do I really need this air pump? Does anybody know if you can just disconnect this thing? Those pumps are pretty pricey-$465.

The Roadie
03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
You need the pump, or else an emissions diagnostic will fail and it will throw a P0410 code. If you have emissions testing in your area, the SES light and code will cause you to fail.

You can tighten up all battery/alternator cabling and clean the ground connection to the fender, but really, that diagnostic only runs for three times - three seconds each time, if the pump doesn't run when you start the engine. If you sit without driving off for 60 seconds, then the pump runs (when it was designed to) at start time, and it won't run the light-dimming diagnostic later.

The pump doesn't cause "problems" other than just dimming, does it?

robertb
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Hello,thanks for your reply. In the 5 years that I had the vehicle, it just dimmed the lights for a few seconds just like you said. Then one night it did it for a whole 25 mile, 40 minute ride home, just dimming and comming back on full strength. If there was a cop on the side of the road he would stopped me for sure. I didn't notice any fluctuations in the voltmeter on the dash though. It has not done it again since.

maxwedge
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Jiggle your headlite switch some, see if the same thing occurs, failed on my 02 TB.

Add your comment to this topic!