96 3.1 oil leak (with a picture)

luapsided
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
96 Grand Am GT
125 K but only 28K on new engine

Picture is of Oil pan/starter/oil filter ect.
Was wondering if anyone could help decipher this leak by the picture. It looks like it dumps a lot of oil in this picture, and it does, but not near as bad as it looks. If any more info is needed please let me know. Otherwise any help would be flippin fantastic! :)http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/luapsided/oil.jpg

Playamade
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I would think that its leaking from the valve cover gaskets . Allthough i once had a 94 grand am with the 3100 sfi which leaked alot of oil from the knock sensor . It is located under the upper intake if i remmeber right.

luapsided
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
So I am pretty sure that is the starter (the bronzed cylinder) and what is the cylinder just above that? How easy are they to take out? It sure looks like the leak is coming from between the oil pan and the starter, from up above.

passnbyu
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi, I agree. It looks like it could be the oil pressure sensor. It is located just above the starter and above that is the valve cover. It seams though you would be getting a burning smell if it was the valve cover being some would run down on the exhaust.
Theres two things I would do. First pull the starter down. (Always unhook your battery first) or use a mirror to see the oil sensor. If you still can't tell then, They make a dye that you can add to the oil that makes it glow yellow under a black light. It works nice. It will not hurt the engine at all. Put it in and wait till you see yellow. Hope this helps!! Passnbyu

PS: Did you do the oil change last? The old gaskets may have stuck to the engine from the oil filter. It would have a double rubber gasket that would leak.. Also you will get oil on the starter sometimes when you remove the oil filter. Just a thought!

luapsided
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi, I agree. It looks like it could be the oil pressure sensor. It is located just above the starter and above that is the valve cover. It seams though you would be getting a burning smell if it was the valve cover being some would run down on the exhaust.
Theres two things I would do. First pull the starter down. (Always unhook your battery first) or use a mirror to see the oil sensor. If you still can't tell then, They make a dye that you can add to the oil that makes it glow yellow under a black light. It works nice. It will not hurt the engine at all. Put it in and wait till you see yellow. Hope this helps!! Passnbyu

PS: Did you do the oil change last? The old gaskets may have stuck to the engine from the oil filter. It would have a double rubber gasket that would leak.. Also you will get oil on the starter sometimes when you remove the oil filter. Just a thought!

I always change my own oil and I made that mistake once a long time ago haha. Never again. So that can be eliminated. Plus I think the filter would have more on it? Anyways, Ill try the mirror for some better angles and try find a manual to properly remove the starter, if I need it? Unhook from the battery, I got that much. I did look earlier though, and didn't really see how it is attached. How many bolts usually? Thanks for your help !

passnbyu
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi again,
Taking the starter down is easy. First remove the black plastic cover over the front of the starter. Use a 10mm wrench or socket.The bolt is on the front side of the trans bell housing. This will uncover the starter bolts. There are two bolts. One long and one short. Use a 15mm socket. They go up though the starter. Onces they are loose, ( sometimes they will not drop out till you move the starter around) move the starter towards the oil filter. This will give you enough room to see the oil sencer. If you don't want to unhook the wires, uses a jack or something to set it on while your looking up. Reverse to put it back on. Hope this helps!! Passnbyu

Add your comment to this topic!