Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alarm help

ncinirator
03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I have a 98 Sonata. Bought used, never used the alarm. Last night I parked the car and when I came back to it the alarm went off when I opened the doors. The ACC worsk but the car will not start.

The Key FOB lights up, but it does not work on the car. Someone please help me out.

98 Sonata.

Thanks in advance.

ncinirator
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I have a 98 Sonata. Bought used, never used the alarm. Last night I parked the car and when I came back to it the alarm went off when I opened the doors. The ACC worsk but the car will not start.

The Key FOB lights up, but it does not work on the car. Someone please help me out.

98 Sonata.

Thanks in advance.

After researching the problem I came across many threads talking about model 2003 and up Sonata's that have this problem. All the remedies are about the valet switch being activated, and the switch seems to be located in different places of the vehicle depending on the model year.

After digging around the fuse box I discovered the valet switch tucked above the fuse box. I switched it to the down position with the battery disconnected. I reconnected the battery and the alarm sounded for a few moments then stopped. Problem solved.

The location for the valet switch on the 98 Sonata is in the fuse box compartment, just above the actual fuse box. Depending on your size, you'll really have to contort yourself under the dash/steering wheel to see the switch.

Hope this helps.

gijmcd
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a 99 GLS sonata that I also bought used. I always thought that alarm was an aftermarket system.
If I open the door and set off the alarm I have to turn the ignition over to the ACC position then reach down to the floor board kick plate by my left foot and press a reset button to reset the alarm and allow me to start the car.

Is that the "valet" switch your talking about? Or is there another switch that will do something different?

ncinirator
03-13-2010, 01:27 AM
I have a 99 GLS sonata that I also bought used. I always thought that alarm was an aftermarket system.
If I open the door and set off the alarm I have to turn the ignition over to the ACC position then reach down to the floor board kick plate by my left foot and press a reset button to reset the alarm and allow me to start the car.

Is that the "valet" switch your talking about? Or is there another switch that will do something different?

If you have to 'push a button' then I believe it is after market. The actual switch for the factory alarm is in the fuse box, it is a small silver toggle switch, not a button.

Add your comment to this topic!