Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does my 1973 MGB require LEAD or NO-LEAD?

hooverbean
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I just bought a 1973 MG BGT and the question is does it need Lead or no-lead gas?

This car was commissioned in the UK in March 1973 to California specs. that was the same year that the USA started phasing out leaded fuel.

Does anyone know how I can determine whether this car would require lead or no-lead gas?

Thanks

Hooverbean

paul J
06-19-2010, 05:45 AM
I just bought a 1973 MG BGT and the question is does it need Lead or no-lead gas?

This car was commissioned in the UK in March 1973 to California specs. that was the same year that the USA started phasing out leaded fuel.

Does anyone know how I can determine whether this car would require lead or no-lead gas?

Thanks

Hooverbean

Your car was designed to run on leaded gas the same as most all were back then, but, since we can't buy leaded gas in the states anymore, we have to use what we can get. Only thing I'd be concerned with is, if the car is driven daily, I would have hard surface valve seats installed in the head, even if leaded gas is available in your area. If it's used as a weekend driver, I wouldn't worry about the valve seats and just drive it. If the head ever has to come off and have valve work done, I would definitly have hard seats installed. JMHO. PJ

Add your comment to this topic!