Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes dragging

davem5761
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
While i was driving, I noticed my car was a little sluggish, and the steering wheel began to shake, when i got were i was going (about a 10 mile drive) there was a real strong smell coming from the brakes, when I got out of my car the front driver side brake rotor was smoking. I'm going to assume the wheel shaking came from the rotor warping. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. Any ideas why the brakes would drag on just one wheel?

davem5761
02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
The car is an '01 GT

grandprixgtx00
02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
take the calipers off and check the pins. Alot of times people do not re-grease them after doing a brake job, and they cause the caliper to stick

rickisrad
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Also make sure the rubber bushing on the caliper slide pin is not swollen and hard to slide in and out. Napa carries those for a few bucks. Another thing is to make sure the pads are not extremely tight in the bracket. I have seen a lot of pads that had to be hit out with a hammer because they were either seized to the hardware or they just did not fit right to begin with. Sometimes you have to grind a little paint off of the edge of the brake pad backing that slides into the bracket.

Add your comment to this topic!