Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange steering symptom

Echos Myron
02-27-2010, 02:25 AM
My '98 Tahoe's steering has been giving a strange feeling during soft right turns, as on a highway cloverleaf. There is a slipping sensation, as if I might lose all steering control. This doesn't happen during left turns at all, nor does it occur during hard right turns, as in simply turning a corner. Any ideas? Thanks.

777stickman
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
It is most likely what is commonly refered to as the EVO sensor. Its real name is Steering Wheel Speed Sensor and is part of the Variable Effort Steering system. It is located at the base of the column before it goes thru the firewall.

To confirm that your Tahoe has this system look for wires going to the lower rear of the power steering pump. If this system is not installed then your trouble is most likely mechanical.

sprucegoose
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM
My '98 Tahoe's steering has been giving a strange feeling during soft right turns, as on a highway cloverleaf. There is a slipping sensation, as if I might lose all steering control. This doesn't happen during left turns at all, nor does it occur during hard right turns, as in simply turning a corner. Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes, i agree with Stickman as I had exactly the same symtoms on my 98 and I swapped out the EVO steering sensor and all is good now. See my post http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=976080

It is just a donut shaped electronic sensor that wraps around the base of the column. Not tough to change, just a little cramped under the dash of course. Drives like a new truck now. Good luck! :)

jermiester1
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Same comment as the others. I suspect your problem is the steering EVO sensor. In 135K miles I've had mine replaced a couple of times (99 Tahoe). Feels like a jerk or twitch in the wheel when your turning.

Add your comment to this topic!