Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wish I still had my f'in Eclipse.

l_eclipse_l
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey fellas. I'm going to bring my 3kgt problem to you, because the other forum is a ghost town and my hope is there are still some of the home boys poking around from the good 'ol days who know more than I do :iceslolan

My '92 SL is having serious issues. I had the clutch replaced 2 years ago when I got the car with a Zoom stage 1 clutch. It was recommended to me by my mechanic and apparently it was a poor recommendation, as it only had a 90 day warranty and its possible it took a shit on me already with only 5k on it. Regardless, I think I have that issue pegged as a failing master cylinder and air in the lines and that will get taken care of in the next week or three. If that's not the issue he has said he will give me free labor on putting a new one in of my choice, I just have to buy the kit. This is the only thing he has ever screwed up with any of my cars and I'm giving him a pass because he is the best fucking mechanic I know and probably the only guy I trust with my cars anymore.

My main issue is that this tranny could use a rebuild and my mechanic claims getting parts for these straight from Getrag is impossible. I did find a kit: http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/dsm-gs-t-turbo-fwd-kits/products/kit-a-economy-1 that looks like it is exactly what I need, but I'm looking for some feedback on it. Has anybody bought from Jack before or heard good/bad reviews of his stuff? Apparently this kit works for 1g turbo DSM's as well, so I thought maybe somebody has purchased this kit before or knows somebody who has.

Many thanks.

LandoAWD
02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
He's got a pretty good rep around DSM circles. As with most vendors, though...not 100% rosey.

david-b
02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Long time no see.

Agreed though, seen good thing from them on Tuners. But never done business with them.

l_eclipse_l
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Long time no see is right Dave. Since I've had my 3s I sorta lost interest in visiting the forums and there are a total of like 4 active members in the 3s forum so I've pretty much just forgotten about this place for the most part.

I've been in email conversation with their sales guy and there's a good chance I buy that kit. They say they will need to know the diameter of the 3-4 synchro ring because apparently there are 2 different sizes for the '92 FWD. Is there a way I can figure that out without having my mechanic prematurely take the tranny apart to measure it? I'm not going to pay him to take it apart just to do that. There should be an easier way.

I now think I understand what all you guys with turbo DSM's went through when you had issues with your cars...I've put as much money in this thing as I paid for it and it's about to get another influx of around 2 grand after I get the clutch issue sorted out, tranny rebuilt, and completely replace the front suspension.

SilvrEclipse
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
What is the clutch doing.

l_eclipse_l
03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
What is the clutch doing.

Before I parked it in November the clutch pedal lost almost all of its stiffness and it had almost no life to it. The engage point nearly hit the floor and there is a very small amount of fluid on the firewall behind the pedal. There was also a very loud grinding noise in the clutch/transmission area and about half the time I could get it in a gear (any gear, didn't matter) and about half the time it would refuse. If it refused to go in gear, I could pump the pedal a few times and there was a chance it would go in gear.

I'm pretty sure the master cylinder failed because the slave was new when I got the new clutch 2 years ago. A good chance there is air in the lines because of it. The noise was likely a bearing that took a shit. There is also a chance the clutch simply failed. My mechanic is looking at it this weekend to determine if its a fluid issue or a clutch issue.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
03-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not saying anything about jacks transmissions, but my buddies gst broke 3 of them thats right, 3. After that he went with a stage 2 from TRE and has been very happy with it. I also got a stage 2 from TRE and am also happy with it. I have 2k on it and it running strong. John from TRE really knows his stuff. He was explaining everything about transmissions and it went right over my head, being that Im (supposed to be) a mechanic it kind of bruised my ego. Anyway as far as Jacks im not sure if he followed the break in procedures like he should have. But I followed them to the T with TRE and have never had a problem.

Add your comment to this topic!